Thread: Help

Default Help

I am pretty much throwing in the towel for bear baiting. Been here three years and absolutley no luck, and i leave at the end of this year. Can anyone give any good suggestions for spot and stalk areas, not looking for exact locations just general areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Where are you starting from? Whether you are in Anchorage, Fairbanks, or somewhere else entirely will make a big difference in the specific recommendations.

Default Fairbanks

I am hunting out of Fairbanks.

Default Kenai

Hit the Kenai penninsula in late Aug-early Sep. Bears will be out and about eating berries. Locate one, watch him for a bit and if it appears to be eating berries then go kill him. Turnagain Pass has tons of them...can be glassed from the hwy. Just make sure you are 1/4 mile off the road when you shoot him.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Try spot and stalking off the Steese and Chena Hot Springs roads in the fall when they are out eating the berries. If you have access to an atv this will greatly improve your chances.

Also if you have a boat or can get a boat Valdez is just about a sure bet if you have a few days to take your time and figure out how to put in to shore and make a stalk in the fall when they are eating the salmon.

Let me ask my husband. I know that he's done quite a bit of bear baiting in our area.
    I am quite sure that we saved most of our cooking oil for bear bait. He said that it's good for bear bait and I just think that it's absurd.
    Okay... he's telling me right now.
    Grease. Dog Food. Sometimes you could put out honey or syrup.
    We have had 2 bears killed down the street from where we live. (Nordale and Freeman). Those were grizzlies. I know that off of Farmers Loop there were some bears.
    My husband suggests that you get out of the Fairbanks area to do bear baiting, though.
    (smiles)... and he's barking at me. He's saying that you should research Fish and Game's kill record to see where the bears are coming from... but if you go where they are all being killed, you are going to have more competition, too.
    It's also a little late in the year to be baiting. You should have tried the first part of May, it looks as if.
    Also, you need to be 1/4 of a mile off any established road.
    If you are baiting in Unit 20, you will have to get your bear baiting card through Fish and Game.
    You will have to take a class to also bait in Unit 20 A and B.
    He's telling me that the class is very informative and that you will meet other hunters in the area.
    Wished I had more answers for you.
    Does any of this make sense? LOL!!
    Sorry you are leaving the Squarebanks area, though.
    It just all of a sudden got real nice, too!!!
    Lurker.

Default Valdez

I second the vote for Valdez. About as easy a black bear hunt as you can get. I live in North Pole and have had luck baiting. I know a little. Drop me a PM.

Steve

Default Baiting

I have baited the past 3 years with no luck what so ever, I have used everything listed and just know luck. Done all the research, I am guessing it just was not meant to be. I will have to see if i can find the time and funds to go down south (baiting kind of drained me). Thank yall for your help. I was hoping to find some areas in the interior or north for spot and stalk.

Default head up the haul road.

if you want to stay in the interior or north slope head up the haul road. A couple buddy's of mine went up last fall and took two nice bears just south of atigan pass. If your going up that hi you might as well hit up the caribou herds for a couple of days. I don't know if your an archer or not but keep in mind there is the 5 mile corridor. Also if you head up that way take a grizz tag and start lookin as soon as you hit dirt road at the Eliot turn off. Good luck and happy hunting!
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Frustrated!!!!

I'm feeling the same way. Although this is only my first year things just aren't working. Really feeling the pressure of the 1st being here soon.
    Right now I just want some meat in the freezer. I'm thinking of two options and would like some input on which is most likely for success or if I'm way off base on either.
    1. Drive down the Denali Highway and try to glass some (normally not my style but really want a bear)
    2. Go up the Haul road in hopes of a Bou. on the first.
    I'm hunting with a rifle and know about the 5 mile corridor. Can you take ATVs in the 5 miles? If I can't I'll be finishing my season in the freezer section of Fred Myer.

From Fairbanks, head to Tok and just past Tok immediately after you cross the tanana bridge hang a right into the parking lot. If you have an ATV it makes it easier but go in across the highway. Its the old Alcan and it only goes about 12 miles before you hit the river but there are so many bears in there its unbelievable. I've been hunting this area for quite a few years in the spring. If you go in 4 miles or so you will hit the porcupine crick, once you cross the crick its bear heaven. before the crick alot of people like to party so it can be pretty active. Gotta be careful though of native land and trespassing.

Default Or.....

Hit the taylor. theres trails at about every mile marker. I've seen pretty good blackie populations below logging cabin creek (mt fairplay).

The taylor is better for accessibly and glassing plus the options on where to go. Up north you folks have a real good area and oppertunity to knock a blackie on its snotlocker its amazing, just got to do some exploring. I've been exploring the taylor for about 5 years now and have barely scratched the surface. its a ways to go from anchorage but worth it.