Thread: halibut bait question

Question halibut bait question

What size herring do you prefer for halibut fishing ? I usually can only find the blue & purple label but on occassion find the x-large ones. Also can you reuse it or is it done & segul food after it thaws ?
    I have 2 or 3 pcks of extra that were not opened las time I went out but obviously thawed as they sat in the cooler over the weekend. Upon returning sunday I refroze them but wonder if they will be any good to use or if when they start to thaw again they will just turn to mush.
    I did see B&J commercial is carrying a pro cure brine that if you use before thawing will allow you to refreeze & reuse but not sure if this is hype or not. Anyone have any experience using it ?

Thanks,

They'll be fine after you re-freeze and re-thaw them. We do that with our herring used for commerical fishing bait and never have a problem. They might be a little stinky, but will still be effective. As for size, I don't imagine it makes a difference. We cut them up into 2-3" pieces, though for sport fishing I might use a bit bigger chunk.

-Brian

It's the oil in the fish that attracts the buts, so soaking them in the water and leaching the oils is what makes bait no good, freeze thaw isn't a big deal. You can always pick up a jug of herring oil and a syringe to inject extra oil in your bait.

We use the big ol "horse" herring...probably about 10" long or so. Then we'll usually cut them in half with a diagonal cut. Can find them in just about any stores bait freezer in Kenai/Soldotna/Ninilchik/Anchor Point/Homer area.

Sometimes throw a chunk of squid or octopus on the hook along with the herring for good measure.

I have used rock salt. This makes your herring firm up.

'Buts really aren't picky. Last weekend, I went out of Whittier with a couple of buddies. When it came time for lunch, we realized that the turkey we bought in Girdwood was rotton and moldy. For giggles, we slapped it on a hook and dropped it in about 120 ft. We had a 35-pounder up and in the box within fifteen minutes.

If it smells they will eat it