Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Kenai now

Default On Kenai now

On boat, 2 nets, four fish in 4 hours.

Hot Hot Hot!

Heading down today and hoping there are some on the morning tide tomorrow. We are staying until Wednesday so hoping to get in on some action somewhere.........flippin and dippin.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    On boat, 2 nets, four fish in 4 hours.
    Really ? Maybe wait for low and fish the incoming tide that close to the mouth instead of wearing yourself out before the fish start coming in. Just my perception, no expert here.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    Maybe wait for low and fish the incoming tide that close to the mouth...
    Yeah, if you could, that would be a blast. Boat dipping lower limit is across from the City Dock.

When it's slow during low slack, I like to motor out to the mouth, nap on the beach, putt around, and wait for jumpers and the beach nets to start lighting up. Then cruise back up to the corner across from Kenai Landing and wait for the wall of fish...

Final count is 32. Start 7:30 AM, end 8:30 PM. With friends with boat so had one day to give it our best shot.

Default On Kenai now

I was on a friends boat on Friday night fishing from about 4 pm to 9:40. We took one break to chat with the park ranger and another break for dinner. Got 25 total.

Four people X four hours dipping = 40 fish
    Fishing from boat. Noon to 4:00
    Lots of company on the river, good weather.

On the Kenai, out of a boat, three nets and fished for about eight hours today, 134 fish total.

A little late, but caught 54 between 3 of us Thurs, Fri, and Sat off the North Shore. Best times seemed to be the couple hours after high tide and then again for a few hours around low slack tide. The action definitely picked up dramatically starting Saturday afternoon/evening.

Dipped 4 tides from Saturday to this morning. Ended with 90. Got 11 this morning in 4 hours. It was SLOW.

I'm assuming it was slow on account of the commercial opener? All the indicators are ramping UP on volume. How many people were there? None of the webcams are working. I'm thinking of doing a quick day trip tomorrow to the Kenai or Kasilof.

Default On Kenai now

I was on the water yesterday (Kenai) from 6am-12pm, 3 nets and 64 fish. It slowed way down the last couple hours we were there.

Default On Kenai now

I just talked to a buddy who's on the Kenai right now, 3 nets since 6am. 24 fish in about 4.5 hours. Only 2 fish in the last 2 hours.

Did the South shore this morning, very little to show for it, same for most. Fish taken by those who got them were on the small size. Cold and slightly windy over there, no sunshine to take away the chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Did the Southshore this morning, very little to show for it, same for most. Fish taken by those who got them were on the small size. Cold and slightly windy over there, no sunshine to take away the chill.
    Update: Decided to move over to the Northshore for the incoming. First I spoke to several dippers and all said it was a decent to a good day there. Dropped my net in the water around 3:30 or so and got 7 nice size fish in under an hour. Rapped things up at 7 after things slacked for the long journey back home. After reading another poster, that may have been abit premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Update: Decided to move over to the Northshore for the incoming. First I spoke to several dippers and all said it was a decent to a good day there. Dropped my net in the water around 3:30 or so and got 7 nice size fish in under an hour. Rapped things up at 7 after things slacked for the long journey back home. After reading another poster, that may have been abit premature.
    I've always done the North shore the few years I have been dipping and the outgoing tide always produces much more fish than the incoming. Just my experience...

dipped from a boat last night (7/21) two nets from 5 pm to 8 pm and landed 7 fish. Dipped this morning from from a boat (7/22) two nets from 8 am to noon and landed 11 fish.

Pretty slow in the river right now. Hopefully it will change soon.

This morning, 2 nets from a boat from 6am-2pm and 19 fish. Slow is the word.

This morn on outgoing tide. One nice big buck for me and my buddy netted six from south shore over about 3.5 hours. Slow is the word.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Two nets from the north shore yesterday (7/23) 8 am to 1:30 pm. Picked up 31 reds and released a King. Best action was on the back side of the high tide. We got lucky and hit the timing right. Sonar counted over 70,000 for the day. Blind luck on our part. Several folks with home brewed nets were doing better at times than we were with Mike's Welding nets. Theirs were square or rectangle and fishing pretty close in. Even when we moved our nets in they were not as productive. Kept watching the action and moved to where it was hottest to get our fish.

Sometimes I think the finer web mono nets catch better as they are harder to see in the water. Mike's nets are pretty heavy duty web and won't fall appart but they are pretty easy to see in the water. Any opions on that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast