My father and I are preparing for a moose hunt, I am trying to remove as many possibilities for stress to ensure that my dad and I are able to enjoy our time together. We get to see each other about once every two years. We did not always hunt together, but I was lucky enough to have a father who loved spending time with me. Therefore he went hunting with me when I was in high school when I asked him. At the time he did not approve of guns. Now we both have more guns than we know what to do with and love to hunt together. Knowing that my dad is getting older, we prepared for our dream hunt, Alaskan Moose. As I prepare for our Moose hunt out of Bethel, I have a couple of logistic questions. Your help in making this hunt of a lifetime come true is greatly appreciated.
1. From what I understand, the only way to ship gear from Bethel to back home is through USPS. We are set to get into town, from the bush, on Saturday. Do we have to plan to stay until Monday (possible Tuesday, depending on flights) to ship our gear to ensure that the USPS store is open?
2. If we are successful, What is the best way to get your Moose antlers home? I do not plan to mount my moose. Just attach the skull plate to the wall. I know a lot of people bring them on the plan ride home, but most have to split the antlers. I would prefer to not have to split but if that is the best way I am open to it.
3. Are there places in Bethel to get meat boxes or do I need to plan to ship them in?
4. How did you/ can I get a box large enough to place my antlers in. Are these available in Bethel?
5. Would you be willing to talk to me about your experience over the phone? I have come to learn that first hand knowledge is worth its weight in Gold.
Thank you all, this trip would be a lot more difficult/stressful without your-all's assistance. I want to thank you in advance.