Thread: willow creek reports?

Default willow creek reports?

Anyone look lately or been there? Wanna get the kiddos on some early pinks or chums.

Release Lake Trout

Floated Willow Creek from Shirleytown Bridge to Deneki road bridge on Wednesday evening. Only saw kings.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Fished there yesterday...caught a few chums...gent next to me said he caught (and released) 3 kings and one jack about an hour before we got there...a lot of rollers and jumpers and a few hook ups...Nothing spectacular but still fun

Just left
    Only kings I saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it still just single hook no bait?
    hook, line, sinker, done.

You can use bait for silvers

I've never fished willow. Never even been down there to the mouth amazingly, fished every other stream around but not willow.... any tips?

Release Lake Trout

Cast spinners and spoons to where the clear willow meets the big su and reel in. I've never fished bait there before, always had success with spinners and pixies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAK View Post
    Floated Willow Creek from Shirleytown Bridge to Deneki road bridge on Wednesday evening. Only saw kings.
    Any problems, sweepers, etc on that stretch of river right now? I'd love to get my raft on it in the next week or two. Thanks!

Decent amount of pinks and chums at the mouth. Silvers starting to show...I have a bag of fillets but had to work for it. The chums and pinks kept me entertained while waiting for the cohos. The bad news: Willow, Little Willow and Montana are all chocolate milk right now. I was fishing bows above Shirley Town this morning, managed a couple in the upper teens before it went muddy. Raced down to the mouth to beat the swell of flood water and caught some salmon before it too went muddy. There were two silt lines...one where the Su met the muddy water of the Willow, and one where the muddy Willow met the clearer water of the raft take-out slough. Doesn't look too good for the weekend...
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    Decent amount of pinks and chums at the mouth. Silvers starting to show...I have a bag of fillets but had to work for it. The chums and pinks kept me entertained while waiting for the cohos. The bad news: Willow, Little Willow and Montana are all chocolate milk right now. I was fishing bows above Shirley Town this morning, managed a couple in the upper teens before it went muddy. Raced down to the mouth to beat the swell of flood water and caught some salmon before it too went muddy. There were two silt lines...one where the Su met the muddy water of the Willow, and one where the muddy Willow met the clearer water of the raft take-out slough. Doesn't look too good for the weekend...
    Would bait still work?
    I sure hope it's not bad in the AM. I have 6 year old girl dying to go

Release Lake Trout

I'm unsure...have never used bait. Perhaps someone else could chime in? On the plus side, the river gauges have started to level out. Won't be totally clear for a while, but 24 hours from now will definitely look better than the present situation. The mouth is certainly clouded, but I'd say a foot, maybe two of visibility remains...that will be enough to encounter some salmon. Folks were still catching fish when I left, but the rate was dropping. Saw one other limit of coho caught and two other folks had one apiece. Spinners, size 4, were the ticket. Color didn't seem to matter as much as putting in your time casting away...
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Tossed spinners and spoons last night at the mouth for a couple hours and caught 1 smaller silver. Not a lot of fish being caught, didn't see any chums. Bow's and grayling jumping and rising all over though.

saw a couple silvers landed 2 days ago but nothing to brag about just yet

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

If you haven't been since last year, they changed the grating walkway at the mouth. It is much longer then it was last year. Almost makes it necessary to have a net to land a fish now.

Any updates for down by the mouth? Might make a jaunt up there but want to make sure visibility in the water is alright.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    Any updates for down by the mouth? Might make a jaunt up there but want to make sure visibility in the water is alright.
    The water level spiked pretty significantly in the last day or 2 nearly tripleing the flow. From my experience, I'd have to believe that today the water is fairly dirty and will need another day or two to clear up, as long as it doesn't rain even more.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Last Friday eve, and sat am had a lot of pinks/chums being caught. By sat eve had slowed down quite a bit.
    Rain started Sunday morning when I left.

Any silvers showing up yet?

They are there, you might have to pick through the chums, pinks, and people.