Thread: I need a special halibut rod rebuilt

Default I need a special halibut rod rebuilt

My wife has a Lamiglas BFC 5610 that has a loose reel seat and mashrd up reel seat clamps (need replacement).

It has silver/chrome reel seats. It is 11 years old and I gave it to her with an Avet 4/0 two speed EXW with her engagement ring attached to the end. Needless to say it is a fish catching combo.

I live in Juneau. Is there anyone out there who can fix this?

Sobie2

Tearing handles down is the hardest part. When manufactors and builders glue them on, we glue them on. That reel seet, if it's a blank thru rod, will be a pain to tear off as it will need to be cut down the length, and doing that without touching the blank is tuff. Also, the rear rip is hard plastic, it'll need to be cut the same way as well as the gimbal, that's a long job, it'b be easier to start from scratch IMO.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I would contact Lamiglas and ask them.
    http://www.lamiglas.com/lamiglas/

Normally the butt handle then the reel seat then the front grip go on from the top down in that order. That would require that the guides also be removed to accomplish that The guides would be reusable. It could be done but it would be a big task.
    I have done that before but it is a time consuming job.........$$$$$$. Good luck with that project.

I understand the emotional attachment, perhaps as an anniversary gift you could have a nice wood cradle built to hang it on the wall and get her a new rod for fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A long shot but try calling Ed at Whopper Stopper Rods he builds some really nice stand up rods and he's a great guy, he may be able to help you and make sure you tell him i told you to call.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    ...and mashrd up reel seat clamps (need replacement)....
    But for those, an "emergency" repair would be pretty easy. Back in the 1960's when I worked in a shop that had it's own line of builds, we also did repairs. The easy, low budget fix was to carefully drill through the loose reel seat in a couple of spots and inject epoxy in between the seat and rod. Lotta guys with loose seats opted for that fix, rather than removing guides and the foregrip to put on a new seat, then replace the foregrip and guides. In 1968 buxx it was something like $2 for the epoxy job vs $25-$30 for the full replacement.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I just rebuilt a lamiglass halibut rod with similar issues. If you heat up the gimball with a torch, it will come off pretty easily. If the butt section of the rod isn't already loose, you will probably have to cut it off, which means you will have to buy a new one to replace it with. You are buying a new reelseat anyways, so not that big of a deal. I had to grind away some of the epoxy on the butt end to slide the new reel seat on. Once the real seat is epoxied in place (make sure you line it up correctly), go ahead and epoxie the butt end of the handle in place. Rule of thumb, too much epoxy is way better than not enough. Once the handle is done, epoxy the gimbal in place...again, line it up correctly

A lot of good stuff here, thanks guys!

Sobie2