Thread: Swapping bullets in M2 cases.

Default Swapping bullets in M2 cases.

I was reading a M1 Garand forum a couple days back discussing the M1 Garand as a hunting rifle. One gentleman made the suggestion of removing the FMJ bullets in M2 ammo and replacing them with bullets appropriate for hunting purposes. As I was thinking of using my Garand to hunt caribou this year, I was wondering if this was a good idea. Can anyone shoot holes in this idea? Thanks, Dave

I would just load some ammo with the correct bullet/powder combination. Pulling bullets and re-seating new ones is more trouble than it is worth. The M-1 makes a fine hunting rifle, I'm not sure why someone would want to pull down M-2 ball and replace the bullets to hunt with. Just load up your favorite 165 or 180 gr soft point with IMR4895 or IMR4064 and go to it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

It would only make sense to me if you were not able to get components and that is all you had. It is way more work. Pull bullets, dump powder out and make sure you get it all. Often times it is packed in there and you have to knock it around (concerning with a primed case). Then resize a primed case. Measure out all the powder again then use store bought hunting bullets. Might as well just get brass, powder and bullets and do it right the first time.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Maybe, you could get by without resizing the neck, but I think, I'd wanna Crimp, (Considering, it's for an M1) and that would mean you SHOULD use a bullet with a crimping groove, and the OAL would need to be right.

I did it a long time ago, for a friends 30-40 Krag.

There were a bunch of guys doin it according to my supervision. (Scary, now that I think back on it.) We replaced the Military bullets with hunting bullets of the same weight.

Every bullet had to be pulled with an INERTIA bullet puller which was pretty primitive, compared to the ones you see today. I disremember if we sized the neck, but I think we did using my Lyman 3 Tong Ten Tools, ?? We probably didn't crimp.

It seemed to be a better idea back then, but today, it's more like what GunBugs said.

It COULD be done, safely, and effectively, if the right bullets, and tools were used, and prober testing along the way.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    It would only make sense to me if you were not able to get components and that is all you had. It is way more work. Pull bullets, dump powder out and make sure you get it all. Often times it is packed in there and you have to knock it around (concerning with a primed case). Then resize a primed case. Measure out all the powder again then use store bought hunting bullets. Might as well just get brass, powder and bullets and do it right the first time.
    If the powder was packed, I dunno if it's good powder. ????

If I were to do this, I think I'd pull the bullets with a Collet puller, seat the new bullet and Crimp, without even removing the powder.

I'd bet those Military bullets would be very HARD to pull, though.

Granted, you would lose some neck tension when the bullet is pulled and replaced without resizing, but would it be significant, when there is a Crimp?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.