Thread: Got Reds today....small

Default Got Reds today....small

The dip netting was decent, but the fish are much smaller than usual. Almost all were females.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

On the Kenai?

Sockeye across the state are coming back small this year. About 1# under.

Dipped from a boat yesterday from 7-3, 2 nets 27 fish 2 of them were pinks and no where near the size they were last year

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Sockeye across the state are coming back small this year. About 1# under.
    I caught some nice big slabs on the Copper River this year. ...but I also feel I have caught more small ones than any other year. ...but I am using a smaller mesh size...I just had a thought maybe that's why the escapement is so high on the copper. ..and the commercial fishermen aren't doing so good ....the fish are so small there squeezing through the nets....

And running deep. Under nets. Large runs produce smaller fish sometimes. So does Warmer water. Fish are cold blooded. Warm water = faster metabolism. Sometimes it can make them late as well...

Just about every fish I caught this past week was small and running almost 10ft deep or almost a whole dipnet handle deep. Past years they were larger and running somewhat shallower. Usually, I see quite a few fins or tails as they are running along the shore in the canyon at Chitina. I only saw one this year.
    Romans 10:9
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.