Thread: Sitka Update

Default Sitka Update

Been ferrying the inside passage on our way back to Fairbanks and got a chance to charter out of Sitka.

Our charter (pm if you want name) was quite nice and they did a good job of making sure all tangles and herring were replaced quickly and efficiently. They were well respective of my pregnant wife who, despite the Bonine and good sea legs, couldn't beat a little sea sickness (though she rallied quickly).

Fishing wise it was a captain admitted "Slow year" in Sitka so far. He says it has been real inconsistent and that they have been hard to find in volume like in years past. That being said we did pretty well boating 6 King Salmon (including 1 white one) 10 Silvers, a ton of black bass, 6 yellow-eye, and three halibut. There were 5 of us fishing on the boat and we were working pretty hard from 5am to 5pm going between spots and fishing tough. So all in all it was a good trip and we have some fish for the freezer but I am a little dissapointed as I was expecting the Sitka of Lore type fishing that I have been hearing about for the past 8 years.

That's good fishing. It's true that everybody is so spoiled from previous years. You are kind of in the time where kings can thin out a little and cohos might not be thick. A lot of boats would be happy with a day like that this year.

Following up on this my parents took a different charter (PM for name) and had a miserable miserable experience. The guide was worthless he only put out 2 poles on the boat even though there were 4 licenses on the boat. He left late and came back early and all they caught the entire day was about 5 pinks and a small rock-fish. They are really disappointed as am I. Ohh by the way their charter was nearly $450 a piece (compared to my far superior $375 charter).

All charters are not created equal. It's tough for a captain to be a hero every single day, all summer long, but there is no excuses for a day like that in SE AK, no matter what the weather.

I can't figure how they're catching 6 kings and 6 yelloweye with 5 licenses. I was guiding in Gustavus this summer and I sure wasn't allowed any crew fish.

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I can't figure how they're catching 6 kings and 6 yelloweye with 5 licenses. I was guiding in Gustavus this summer and I sure wasn't allowed any crew fish.

He did not give a total report, IMO, from what I read. There may have been 6 anglers - 3 couples or what have you. He did mention a sea-sick wife who rallied. Nor did he mention any captain, mate or deck hands doing any fishing. Could there have been a proxy being filled? I don't know the regs on that being a non-res...but I do know the charter crew may not retain fish with paying customers on board. So there is some " gray " in the post. Perhaps the OP will clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    He said caught, not kept???
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

5 in my party, but two others on the boat as well.