Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's new for your upcoming season?

Default What's new for your upcoming season?

Any changes, equipment, new toys or other exciting stuff you are adding for Sept 1? For me:
    Lab pup: My sons dog really, but since I help him train, I get to have the pup w/ me when I hunt. He'll be alongside my 7 year old yellow female. He's a good pup, gonzo to retrieve, loves the water, loves to please, and I think he just may love the smell of gunpowder more than we do. He'll be a tad over 6 months old on our first trip.
    New Motor: Well, almost new. She's a Mud Buddy with a 23hp Kohler. Very clean. The guy we bought it from in ANC was a good guy, very honest, and bent over backwards to help us get it to FAI. This will be the first time I have not fought weeds with a jet, or a prop hung on back of the boat. WHOOP!!!
    16' flatbottom: Not new to us, but we'll be using her w/ the new MB on the back. Could be a lot of fun. Have to get some welding and work done, and find a trailer.
    Beretta Shotgun: Again, not new. As young adults we bought this shotgun for our dad. He used it for years, and as he no longer hunts, gave it back to me. It will be tough to leave the Benelli SBEII at home, but I think shooting the Beretta may be fun.
    Heck, I'm already smiling and it is not even August yet,
    ARR

I got four of the pulsating decoys. That's about it this year spent all my money last year on EBAED, 18 Copperhead, SBE2 and decoys LOL
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I'm actually getting rid of a bunch of gear, going to sell off all my goose decoys with the exception of 1 dozen shells, selling all the turkey, and whitetail stuff, so hopefully I can buy a boat as soon as I get back.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Wonder how a turkey decoy would work at Minto? I started pricing some #3 shells in 3" yesterday. Normally I'll shoot Federals because I get a better price. I'll keep looking for other options. For me, paying the Black Cloud or other similar pricing is just not going to happen. I can buy more than a gallon of gas w/ the price difference per box.
    ARR

nothing cheap about shell that's for sure

I have seen wild turkeys down in Sterling and in Eagle River. I'm sure they were run away pets, not sure if they're still around, but maybe it would be worth it to haul a turkey decoy back up there.

I have a new A300 Outlander Camo Max5 on the way. Can wait to get it out there..

i'm going to be ordering a higdon pulsator decoy. rogers sporting goods has small sale on them with free shipping. from what i hear the water splashing around is a real attractant, and i'm looking forward to trying it.

rogerssportinggoods.com/higdon-decoys-pulsator-2-and-power-pack-single-with-charger.html
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I have seen wild turkeys down in Sterling and in Eagle River. I'm sure they were run away pets, not sure if they're still around, but maybe it would be worth it to haul a turkey decoy back up there.
    i went up clark-wolverine road a month or so ago and saw a turkey, assumed it was sombodies pen fed that just got loose. much like phesants in kenai area, so many there that are loose, some hunt them
    Wasilla

I've seen pheasants on knik goose bay road too, almost got one with my truck by the softball fields one day.

New to me motor for my duck boat, new motion decoys. Did some work on the duck boat and added a few much needed items to it. Other than that not a whole lot of new this year I may get one of those pulsators though those look like they would be good on those windless days

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I got four pulsators and two new rapid flyers decoys

Purchase a new airplane this spring for flying across the inlet and hunting the Susitna Flats. Looking forward to that!

Anyone want to reveal good places to land on wheels for ducks? I know a few spots, but always looking for something new. Landed at the Chikaloon and Lewis river areas before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Purchase a new airplane this spring for flying across the inlet and hunting the Susitna Flats. Looking forward to that!

Anyone want to reveal good places to land on wheels for ducks? I know a few spots, but always looking for something new. Landed at the Chikaloon and Lewis river areas before.

Sounds like I need new friends this season

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Sounds like I need new friends this season

I seconded that wow

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post

I'll share my wealth of duck information if i can come along on occasion, happy to pay gas also. Bud
    Wasilla

Just got me a case of #3's

If the water is low enough at Minto I could fly in late season for ducks on exposed beaches. Could be some fun day trips.
    ARR

Do you ever shoot any banded ducks on Minto? I've heard they band some ducks there, however I've never seen a bird wearing a band in AK. I'm guessing the minto flats birds don't come down through the matsu valley.

picked up a 410 single shot!! looking forward to outshooting those 3.5 guys..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast