Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Baiting Season Question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default Baiting Season Question

    Was reading the Regs again. Is it legal to bait Apr 15 - Oct 15 for both Black and Brown in 16 (non predator control)?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Was reading the Regs again. Is it legal to bait Apr 15 - Oct 15 for both Black and Brown in 16 (non predator control)?
    Whether over bait or not = yes!

  3. #3
    Member breth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    42

    Default

    you are correct, but with that any brown shot over bait requires back straps and all 4 quarters to be salvaged

  4. #4
    Member ProHunterAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Counting Frogs and Skeeters
    Posts
    851

    Default

    correct and right now would not be the time to play in most areas in 16 due to the fact that if you plan on eating them they would mostly be into the fish.

    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    correct and right now would not be the time to play in most areas in 16 due to the fact that if you plan on eating them they would mostly be into the fish.
    Don't intend on it right now. Was thinking latter in the year, late Sept or early Oct.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    The later season that will allow baiting, there's also a map available, showing boundaries with specific GPS points. I don't BELIEVE that the entire unit 16, especially 16A is completely open to the baiting...
    That's what I think I'm reading with the maps and info Palmer ADF&G gave me this spring...
    They asked me if I was going to fall bait. I was like "whaaaaat?, We can do that?"
    She explained that for 2015 we could now shoot brown bears over a registered black bear bait in 16A, even in the fall season, and then gave me all of this literature.
    She asked if I wanted to spring and fall register my bait... I said yes, so I did.
    But when I got home and reviewed said literature, it would certainly appear that my bait area is slightly "out of" the boundary that they've subscribed...
    Maybe "things have changed" since the new regs came out. I haven't read those yet...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    The later season that will allow baiting, there's also a map available, showing boundaries with specific GPS points.
    You're probably referring to the map for predator control... which enables you to to take an unlimited number of black bears, black bear sows with cubs, and black bear cubs.

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I don't BELIEVE that the entire unit 16, especially 16A is completely open to the baiting...
    That's what I think I'm reading with the maps and info Palmer ADF&G gave me this spring....
    Read the 2014-2015 hunting regs. Info used to be in the black bear baiting supplement, but the F&G has more or less merged that document into the hunting regs.

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    But when I got home and reviewed said literature, it would certainly appear that my bait area is slightly "out of" the boundary that they've subscribed...
    See response about the predator control area above. The 2014-2015 hunting regs are less restrictive than the 2013-2014 hunting regs with respect to baiting for black bears.

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Maybe "things have changed" since the new regs came out. I haven't read those yet...
    With respect to baiting seasons and times, it seems you are referring to the old regs. The current regs allow baiting black bears in unit 16 (a and b) in the fall season. Current regs allow the taking of brown bears over bait provided you write brown bear bait station on your permit, and requires you to salvage all the meat as though the bear was taken for subsistance. I'm not aware of changes to the current regs (aka EO) for unit 16.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    You're probably referring to the map for predator control... which enables you to to take an unlimited number of black bears, black bear sows with cubs, and black bear cubs.
    Maybe that was it. I was kicking around doing a fall bait, and registered for it. After further review, I'm not going to do it and just pull the station.
    After reviewing things a little further, I believe that you're correct regarding the predator control area... Thanx...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Am wondering if anyone knows of someplace fairly close to Anchorage that might be worth while to set up a bear bait station. I haven't been able to take to f&g yet so I thought I'd try here first. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Define "close". Hour driving? Two? The short answer is that the closer to anchorage, the more competition and more private property issues.

  11. #11

    Default

    Government Hill area was very productive last year 2015 season.


    Quote Originally Posted by rongillham View Post
    Am wondering if anyone knows of someplace fairly close to Anchorage that might be worth while to set up a bear bait station. I haven't been able to take to f&g yet so I thought I'd try here first. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

  12. #12
    Member ProHunterAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Counting Frogs and Skeeters
    Posts
    851

    Default

    As brian stated what is your distance of travel that you consider close? 2hrs away would put you into unit 16 which has plenty of opportunities to harvest, an hour and a half puts you into 14B which as of this year allows taking a brown over bait as well. Your best bet would be to put some leg scouting time in and strap on the hiking boots. I live out in Willow (about an hour north of Los Anchorage) and there are several "well known" areas in the houston/big lake area.. Just remember the closer to "civilization" the more pressure you will run into.

    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I was thinking about 1 to 1 1/2 hour and maybe able to shoot a brown or grizzly off of it. I have baited on the peninsula for blacks but that is just to far from Anchorage, and you can't shoot a brownie if you are baiting on the refuge. Thanks for the replies so far.

  14. #14
    Member alaskankid13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    anchorage,ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rongillham View Post
    I was thinking about 1 to 1 1/2 hour and maybe able to shoot a brown or grizzly off of it. I have baited on the peninsula for blacks but that is just to far from Anchorage, and you can't shoot a brownie if you are baiting on the refuge. Thanks for the replies so far.
    I'm within 2 hours from my house to my bait station. I wouldn't even think of coming any closer simply due to hunting pressure. I hunt the peninsula. Yes there are lots of bears, and more brown ones than black ones from what shows up on camera.

    North of anchorage there are several alright spots but at 1 hour north of anchorage you're barely even out of Wasilla or Palmer. 1.5 hours and you are starting to get to some better trailheads that could produce good bears. Not to mention the amount of houses/cabins that you'll still have to check to make sure you're in the clear. If you have a four wheeler or boat. Your chance to get away increase dramatically for baiting(at least from my observations).

    Bears are everywhere, go out there, get em!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •