Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules question(s)

Default Rules question(s)

Can my resident licensed adult son (not in my household) help me dipnet my fish without his own dipnet permit? We only want about 20 between the 2 of us and I'm allowed 35 for my wife and I.

what EXACTLY is the deal with recording fish before I put them in the cooler on ice? Somebody said I have to put hash marks for each fish on my permit. The form doesn't look like it's designed for that, and it'll be messy but going for 20 I probably can figure out a way, but households getting 50-60 or more? yikes!!

Why doesn't he just get his own permit and you can both scoop 10 and not worry about it. Before you leave the fishing ground you have to record them. If you put them in a cooler you must clip both lobes of the tail.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Permits are free. And I think you only have to record them before you leave the beach. I Think.

If I remember right someone last year posted that an enforcement officer told them that fish have to be tallied before going into a cooler on the beach.

Limits are per household. Your kid isn't in your household, so have him get his own permit. They're free at Freddie's or Sportsman's or a dozen other places. Besides, if he has his own permit/household, then he gets 25 fish as head of household instead of ten fish as an additional household member.

As for fish care, you have to clip the tail fins and record the fish count before they are removed from plain sight. So before you throw them in a cooler with a lid, you have to record your numbers. However, if you throw them in a plastic tote with no lid, they aren't removed from plain sight and don't have to be tallied until you get to shore. Sounds odd, but read the regs online if you doubt it.

You need not "tally" fish with hash marks or anything of the sort. If you catch ten and he catches five on a given day, then you record the number 10 on your permit and he records the number 5 on his.

Ok I dip on the beach, my fish are headed, tailed, gutted and put on ice in a cooler immediately, so I guess each time I catch a fish I record the date and a "1" on my card (or a 2 or 3 if fishing is hot ) ? I'm not trying to be a S/A but I've heard of people getting tickets and am wondering what is the correct way to avoid one?

i have never heard of anybody recording every fish they catch. there isnt enough room on the card. Maybe what i do is wrong but we always record our total fish caught before we leaving our fishing area. normally i attach a stringer to my waders, once i hit around 10 fish i get out of the water and fillet those fish and put them in the cooler.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Ok I dip on the beach, my fish are headed, tailed, gutted and put on ice in a cooler immediately, so I guess each time I catch a fish I record the date and a "1" on my card (or a 2 or 3 if fishing is hot ) ? I'm not trying to be a S/A but I've heard of people getting tickets and am wondering what is the correct way to avoid one?
    The rules on page 16 of the personal use regulations here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...hfisheries.pdf state that all fish must be recorded before being concealed from view. I could see putting them in a cooler being considered by some as being concealed from plain view. I'm sure not all would cite you for that as long as you recorded it before you left the beach, but technically they probably could if they wanted to.

Yeah, I think that's probably right. When you see the Fish and Game guys enforcing the count limits, they're usually checking folks as they leave.

Maybe we need to invent the transparent Kenai dip netting cooler.

OK, here's another question.

My daughter got married last fall. Her husband is from out of state. They are here for the summer working and living in Soldotna. If she gets a permit, can she list her husband as a dependent and get an additional 10 fish for him?

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    Yeah, I think that's probably right. When you see the Fish and Game guys enforcing the count limits, they're usually checking folks as they leave.

Maybe we need to invent the transparent Kenai dip netting cooler.
    Those plastic storage totes you can get at most stores would probably work, just not insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    OK, here's another question.

My daughter got married last fall. Her husband is from out of state. They are here for the summer working and living in Soldotna. If she gets a permit, can she list her husband as a dependent and get an additional 10 fish for him?
    Regulation says each additional household member, i'm sure the spirit of the rule is resident families. Everyone participating over age of 16 has to have a resident sport fish license.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    Regulation says each additional household member, i'm sure the spirit of the rule is resident families. Everyone participating over age of 16 has to have a resident sport fish license.
    OK, he's still a household member. We're also wondering if he's eligible to fish, as he hasn't lived in Alaska for a year yet. But can he still be listed on the permit as a household member so she can get an additional 10 fish?

OK, he's still a household member. We're also wondering if he's eligible to fish, as he hasn't lived in Alaska for a year yet. But can he still be listed on the permit as a household member so she can get an additional 10 fish?
    If he is not a resident, the regs are very clear that he can not participate in any way with the personal use fishery. He can't run a boat, net fish, or handle any of the fishing gear.

I would seriously doubt you could even list him as a "household member" in order to get the additional 10 fish if he is not a resident. I would suggest contacting ADF&G to confirm that though, especially if you were planning to try it. A phone call is a lot cheaper than a ticket.

Last year was my first year dipping, so I won't claim to have it all figured it, but it was also my understanding that fish needed to be tallied prior to closing them in a cooler. Doesn't make sense, but that's they way I read the regs. I don't have a good idea on how to do that though since there is so little room on the report card. Maybe just write on it anyways and leave the boxes open to fill in with the final count for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If he is not a resident, the regs are very clear that he can not participate in any way with the personal use fishery. He can't run a boat, net fish, or handle any of the fishing gear.

I would seriously doubt you could even list him as a "household member" in order to get the additional 10 fish if he is not a resident. I would suggest contacting ADF&G to confirm that though, especially if you were planning to try it. A phone call is a lot cheaper than a ticket.
    How does Fish & Game define "resident" vs household member? I'd argue all day that he's a member of their household. And she's a resident. So if she gets the permit, and then adds him as a "household member", that seems defensible to me. But I understand and agree that unless he's a "resident" by their definitionhe can't help with any of the fishing in any way shape or form. Even though I used to have a neighbor who was a State Trooper and his out of state father in law used to come and go with him on their boat every year when they lived here.

How does Fish & Game define "resident" vs household member? I'd argue all day that he's a member of their household. And she's a resident. So if she gets the permit, and then adds him as a "household member", that seems defensible to me. But I understand and agree that unless he's a "resident" by their definitionhe can't help with any of the fishing in any way shape or form. Even though I used to have a neighbor who was a State Trooper and his out of state father in law used to come and go with him on their boat every year when they lived here.
    I would just be looking at the very first statement in the personal use regs (linked to above), emphasized in bold, "Only Alaska residents, as defined on page 5, are eligible to participate in personal use fisheries." Maybe being listed on someone's card but not actually actively fishing doesn't count as "participating", but I wouldn't want to test that without a good confirmation from ADF&G.

For your example with your neighbor, was the father in law just going along on the trip or handling the gear or running the boat? Anyone is welcome to come along for a ride, resident or not, as long as they aren't participating.

For your example with your neighbor, was the father in law just going along on the trip or handling the gear or running the boat? Anyone is welcome to come along for a ride, resident or not, as long as they aren't participating.
    I believe it USED to be legal years ago for non residents to run the boat for dipnetting as long as they didn't handle the gear but ADF&G changed that.
    If it where me I wouldn't even want a nonresident on my boat while dipping. Too much chance they get in trouble by trying to be helpful or accidently touch something they shouldn't.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Trust me, father in law was participating. I heard plenty of reports of participation from his own mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal use fish are designated for residents only.

16.05.940. Definitions.
    (26) “personal use fishing” means the taking, fishing for, or possession of finfish, shellfish, or other fishery resources, by Alaska residents for personal use and not for sale or barter, with gill or dip net, seine, fish wheel, long line, or other means defined by the Board of Fisheries.

If you claim a non resident as one of the household members, you are allocating 10 additional fish for that person, which would place ten fish in their possession. This is not legal. As mentioned, call ADF&G for conformation.

It is ok to share personal use caught fish with anyone, but nonresidents cannot take, fish for, or possess the fish. And you know the definition of possession.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast