Thread: I Caught a HUMMING BIRD today.......bet you never did that.

Default I Caught a HUMMING BIRD today.......bet you never did that.

I kept the cabin door open today, because it has been so hot. The humming bird came in the cabin, and was trying to get out a closed window. The last three or four years, I have been seeing more and more humming birds in this area. I doubt this one would qualify for the Boone and Crockett record book.

maybe it'll go pope and young?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

No joke. Tell us more grasshopper.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Are they yummy ? And you get a tooth pick included!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Close.......It went "POOP" in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    maybe it'll go pope and young?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Close.......It went "POOP" in my hand.
    Hate to burst your bubble but i have caught 2 of them
    Both in the last 2 years, 1 in a cabin window that had flowers painted on it another this spring in my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 wsm View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble but i have caught 2 of them
    Both in the last 2 years, 1 in a cabin window that had flowers painted on it another this spring in my vehicle.
    Yeah, but his was bigger, more vicious, more remote, and likely more endangered. Further, he walked up a taller, steeper mountain to release his, and he saw more bears while doing so.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Everyone knows that all good critter stories are required to start with, "There I was.....".

So.....There I was making love to a tonic and gin, when over by the window there arose such a clatter, that I sprang from the gin to see what was the matter, when there to my wondering eyes did I see, but a charging, rabid, saber'tooth, blood'thirsty humming bird. I reached for my .375 H&H but it was on me in a flash. I thought I was dead meat for sure, but it only wanted some of my tonic and gin.

Lightly plagiarized from "It was the night before Christmas" and Billy Joel's; "Piano Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Everyone knows that all good critter stories are required to start with, "There I was.....".

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

So.....There I was making love to a tonic and gin, when over by the window there arose such a clatter, that I sprang from the gin to see what was the matter, when there to my wondering eyes did I see, but a charging, rabid, saber'tooth, blood'thirsty humming bird. I reached for my .375 H&H but it was on me in a flash. I thought I was dead meat for sure, but it only wanted some of my tonic and gin.
    Now THATS how you tell a story!!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Lightly plagiarized from "It was the night before Christmas" and Billy Joel's; "Piano Man".
    Nonetheless, you have some,,,,, talent.

I've heard people ask for Hummingbird Tongues and Onion Gravy. Apparently, it is a great delicacy.

Gee, I've never even seen a Hummingbird in Alaska. Maybe it takes tonic and gin to see one.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

[QUOTE=Smitty of the North;1491762]Nonetheless, you have some,,,,, talent.

I've heard people ask for Hummingbird Tongues and Onion Gravy. Apparently, it is a great delicacy.

Gee, I've never even seen a Hummingbird in Alaska. Maybe it takes tonic and gin to see one.

Smitty, I have heard in the last year there has been a Huge increase in sightings in Colorado???? They even nick named the little cuss's
    " Do-Bee's "
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Now THATS how you tell a story!!!!
    Really...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I caught one in the garage window a few years back. The thing I noticed was how fast his heart was pounding.

I'm pretty sure the harvest requirement is that the humming bird must be quartered when transported out of the field. Evidence of sex must be retained.

I kept the cabin door open today, because it has been so hot. The humming bird came in the cabin, and was trying to get out a closed window. The last three or four years, I have been seeing more and more humming birds in this area. I doubt this one would qualify for the Boone and Crockett record book.
    As a kid in New Mex I spent a lot of time watching them. One day one came in the bay door of my fathers shop and spent a few hours buzzing around up in the high ceiling, confused and trying to find a way out...until it ran out of steam and crashed. I collected it and let it rest a short while in a shoe box. Then I held it in my hand and held a pill bottle full of sugar water up for it to drink from, which it did readily. After it's batteries were recharged, I released it. It shot straight up vertically about 50 feet to a hover, got it's bearings (presumably), and rocketed off to wherever. Pretty cool little birds. Hopefully yours was safely released (?).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes, was released safely. I only held it for about 15 seconds. It never moved, or acted frightened, and I held it very loosely, as I knew it was so very fragile. It was like holding an angel. Like holding something so perfect in its essence.

Very cool that they are that far up north. I wonder how far south they migrate in the winter. We have a few varieties here in metro Phoenix that are here year round. They like to nest in Mulberry Trees.
    I have had them appear out of nowhere and hover just inches away.
    http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/oct/stories/ramsey.html

Scroll down to the last couple posts...... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-toilet/page80
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Caught one last week. It was so tired it took about 2 minutes before it could fly away.
    Attached Images Attached Images