Thread: Kenai Pen. Beads

Default Kenai Pen. Beads

Will be bouncing around the peninsula (and just north of it) for a week or so in the middle of August. Which beads (sizes and colors) should I have with me. I have a selection of live and dead eggs, but would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks!

6, 8 & 10 mm for sizes. The king (10mm) spawn will be about over, but worth a try. Reds spawn a 7mm egg, so take your pick between 6 & 8mm beads. I like the pink pearl color, but also carry a selection of oranges, yellows & reds, some with swirls & some solid colors. Dead roe is also good to have. I usually fish the 8mm beads, most go with the 6mm.

Middle of August is prime time for the king spawn on the Kenai River. 12 & 14 mill orange blank, painted of course, is the ticket. Even during the sockeye spawn we will throw some 12 mill orange and crush fish. Nobody is using that size and it's something different from the million of other eggs floating by. The point is, don't be afraid of going big.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Middle of August is prime time for the king spawn on the Kenai River. 12 & 14 mill orange blank, painted of course, is the ticket. Even during the sockeye spawn we will throw some 12 mill orange and crush fish. Nobody is using that size and it's something different from the million of other eggs floating by. The point is, don't be afraid of going big.
    I have done really well in August using 12 mm beads. As for the color, my lips are sealed. But there are two particular shades that I wouldn't leave the house without.

Here is a 165 post thread I started in 2009. Some of it's actually about fishing

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rod-choice-etc

For me, the clay eggs I made (pictured in thread I think, or use search feature for clay beads) worked best. Well, those and the custom painted beads I bought from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. Great fly shop in Juneau and best fly shop website I've seen. They have some great articles about bead fishing, the Upper Kenai, and such. A wealth of solid info on their site. You can order there too of course. Great folks to deal with.

Also, when you fly into Anchorage, be sure to stop by and see Mike at Mossys Fly Shop. He will hook you up!!

If you want to learn about fly fishing the Kenai put a pot of coffee on..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...etc?highlight=

Dan
    NC
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

For pegging the bead I used to use peg-its but I found red basting brushes at the Dollar store. 1 buck for 75 red slightly larger pegs is a better deal and they hold a little tighter.

I find it is much better to use a bead knot vs. the pet-its. Problem with the peg-its is that the weight of the river pulls the bead down and then before you know it, the bead is right next to the hook. So you end up making some useless casts like that, and/or are constantly re-setting the bead. The bead knot keeps the bead in place. The only hassle is that it is sometimes hard to get the knot the right distance above your hook.

Color, there are some go-to's, but pro-tip. A lot of times the trout will puke up a few eggs before you release them. Switch to whatever size and color they are puking up!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    I find it is much better to use a bead knot vs. the pet-its. Problem with the peg-its is that the weight of the river pulls the bead down and then before you know it, the bead is right next to the hook. So you end up making some useless casts like that, and/or are constantly re-setting the bead. The bead knot keeps the bead in place. The only hassle is that it is sometimes hard to get the knot the right distance above your hook.

Color, there are some go-to's, but pro-tip. A lot of times the trout will puke up a few eggs before you release them. Switch to whatever size and color they are puking up!
    The problem with bead knots is they weaken your tippet significantly. I use Pegz to peg my bead. I prefer the orange color.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post

If the peg doesn't hold good enough just tie a bobber stopper knot. You can then slide it to whatever distance from the hook you like. You can still change out the bead for a different color and repeg above the knot.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    If the peg doesn't hold good enough just tie a bobber stopper knot. You can then slide it to whatever distance from the hook you like. You can still change out the bead for a different color and repeg above the knot.
    That is a good idea. Just tie a nailknot onto the tippet using some clear mono or flouro. I like the idea of having the bead free sliding on the leader between a nailknot and the hook.

Good idea. Thanks!

You're welcome, I hate it when the bead slides.

You're welcome, I hate it when the bead slides.
    Right on. Floating Sportsman-Jim's on Saturday, I'll try it out.

I use a nail knot between thr hook & the bead. Set the knot 2 inches above the hook. The tippet knot keeps the bead from getting lost on the leader. I've also been tying 6" of 20 lb test on thr butt section ov the leader, nail knotted at each end. Form a loop to attach a thing a ma bob. It adjusts for depth the length of the butt section.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I use a nail knot between thr hook & the bead. Set the knot 2 inches above the hook. The tippet knot keeps the bead from getting lost on the leader. I've also been tying 6" of 20 lb test on thr butt section ov the leader, nail knotted at each end. Form a loop to attach a thing a ma bob. It adjusts for depth the length of the butt section.
    i quit using thingamabobbers and have gone exclusively with the airlock indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    i quit using thingamabobbers and have gone exclusively with the airlock indicators.
    Well now, isn't that special
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagesCA99P3ON.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Well now, isn't that special
    I guess my point about using airlocks was for Gary and that his extra rigging technique for thingamabobbers is unnecessary with airlocks.

The arilock indicators renders thingamabobbers obsolete. A great indicator for sure.

The one downside to airlocks is that they are noticeably heavier.