Thread: Shipping caribou antlers

Default Shipping caribou antlers

I was looking for advice on shipping caribou antlers to lower 48. There will be 4 of us going on a caribou hunt this fall so hopefully we will have a few sets to bring home. I know its alot cheaper to split them but was wondering what the best options are if we wanted to bring them home without splitting them.

My buddy had a box built and shipped his that way. I dont think there is a cheap way to ship a rack that can get that large. You may be able to get multiples in the crate and ship it freight using totem or Alaska pacific freight.

If it becomes too inconvenient you can always leave em at my house
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You'll need time in anc to go to one of the large furniture stores and ask them cor a large box - the kind recliners are shipped in for example. You'll still need to cover the tines and wrap the antlers. It will be expensive.

The only reason not to split them is if one is book or you are planning a lot of euro mounts. Another option is to discuss with your taxidermist about sawing one side off even with the skull and having them re-attach.

Unless you have a book head cut skull plate in half in a V pattern per my taxi makes it much easier to sew together upon the mounting. Also I second running to find a large cardboard box in a furniture store and using garden hose or folded cardboard taped to the points to avoid tearing up your box and ship USPS. Ran less than 100 bucks if I remember right. Best and most cost efficent way in my opinion we shipped two this way and a shed.

+1 for USPS. However, you have to make sure it's santized well. Any blood drippings or maggots and USPS (probably any shipper) will chuck in the dumpster.

Years ago when I shot a descent bull I checked it in as baggage. We used chunks of garden hose over all of the tines. I've also seen them in the airport with cardboard taped over the tines.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Went to Anchorage and I think its called the shipping store or something like that. Bought a pallet in which we shipped all our gear, guns, moose and caribou antlers to Michigan for $750.00 Split 3 ways it was cheap. We then processed all our game meat, packaged and froze it solid, bought 9 coolers and shipped it home on the airpalne with us as checked baggage.

thanks for the advice. I know 10 years ago I sent them home on the airplane but didnt think Alaska Air let you do this anymore. Looks like I need to check out the shipping store or UPS.

About half way down the page: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...spx#perishable

A friend took back his antlers of a medium bull last year by bubble wrap and tape on all the points and around the skull. Made it back to Ohio with no problems. My brother used to mail his clothes and some other gear home and just took rifle and antlers as checked baggage. Optics were in his carry on along with one change of clothes.

My brother in law shipped a set of 60" moose antlers on the plane with Alaska airlines just paid the extra oversize bag fee $75.. Can't beat that

Last year my buddy flew home a few days earlier than me as I have family in Anchorage. We shipped caribou meat home duct taped in a 35 quart cooler, and had a shipping store (might have been called the Package Store or something like that) in Anchorage build a cardboard box for the antlers. Split the antlers, put them in the box with tips wrapped with shipping tape and with the Styrofoam pellets in the box, and took the box on Alaska Air as checked baggage.

One thing many people do is to take large diamiter clear hose from lowes and cut 5 or 6" long pieces to stick on all the points to help protect them
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by mntrunr View Post
    I was looking for advice on shipping caribou antlers to lower 48. There will be 4 of us going on a caribou hunt this fall so hopefully we will have a few sets to bring home. I know its alot cheaper to split them but was wondering what the best options are if we wanted to bring them home without splitting them.
    You are looking at 700-900 to ship to the east coast. I called several places last year and that was the range to get my fathers bull home. It's the size so it needs to go freight. I ended up splitting them and paying 75.00 to take them back on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    You are looking at 700-900 to ship to the east coast. I called several places last year and that was the range to get my fathers bull home. It's the size so it needs to go freight. I ended up splitting them and paying 75.00 to take them back on the plane.
    Not sure if these rates are still valid, but in the early 2000s we shipped 2 sets of caribou antlers and 2 capes home to Maryland by paying Knight's Taxidermy to prep the hides and antlers and build a box that they put shipping tape around, and then put on a truck (or it may have been shipped to Seattle and driven on the 18 wheeler from there). Cost about $150 prep cost to Knight's, and about $230 to transport from AK to Maryland.

I don't bring capes home anymore and rarely bring antlers home, so the info may be dated, but wanted to share just in case it's worth a phone call to Knight's.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Not sure if these rates are still valid, but in the early 2000s we shipped 2 sets of caribou antlers and 2 capes home to Maryland by paying Knight's Taxidermy to prep the hides and antlers and build a box that they put shipping tape around, and then put on a truck (or it may have been shipped to Seattle and driven on the 18 wheeler from there). Cost about $150 prep cost to Knight's, and about $230 to transport from AK to Maryland.

I don't bring capes home anymore and rarely bring antlers home, so the info may be dated, but wanted to share just in case it's worth a phone call to Knight's.
    Didnt talk to Knights so it certainly would be worth a call. I talked to UPS, Fedx and the packaging store.