Thread: The FINE "Not" Equal to the pain and suffering (Sockeye Wildfire)

Default The FINE "Not" Equal to the pain and suffering (Sockeye Wildfire)

I weep when I read this and try to imagine the pain and suffering these people caused. Such "COWARDS" to just race away. I think our justice system sucks. Frankly, I can't think of a horrific enough punishment for this crime. And it is likely that what ever the fine is that their Homeowners Insurance will pay the fine.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150713/...ckeye-wildfire

So it wasn't fireworks afterall!
    When I was wildfire fighting we often found the people who started it had all the vehicles home but the shades drawn and refusing to answer the door. Especially when they knew it was obvious where the fire started and how.They just knew they were in trouble and were afraid of the consequences I suppose.
    My wife's uncle got about 1/4 of what he felt his cabin was worth from the insurance of the man who started the Caribou hills fire a few years back.
    He accepted that offer rather than spend the money on a lawyer and all the time fighting it in court.
    At least in this case if the insurance pays they will likely get something.
    Otherwise he would just file bankruptcy and get out of it and the victims would get nothing.
    I could feel for them if the fire was a total accident. But it wasn't and they should have known better.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

hard to believe that anyone would just run and not get help right away. Whatever punishment is meted out won't bring back the time and property lost in this fire. Hopefully whatever is handed out by the courts will act as a deterrent to others who choose to burn during a burn ban, while at the same time recognizing the accidental nature of the fire. Immanuel Kant wrote of a thing called "moral luck." Many people burn carelessly; only a few start wildfires by their actions. The moral luck part of it; those that cause no harm from their moral decision walk on their way with no loss, and little condemnation from society. Those with bad luck see a horrific consequence to their deed and bear the full burden of society's wrath. These people's "moral luck" ran out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    hard to believe that anyone would just run and not get help right away. Whatever punishment is meted out won't bring back the time and property lost in this fire. Hopefully whatever is handed out by the courts will act as a deterrent to others who choose to burn during a burn ban, while at the same time recognizing the accidental nature of the fire. Immanuel Kant wrote of a thing called "moral luck." Many people burn carelessly; only a few start wildfires by their actions. The moral luck part of it; those that cause no harm from their moral decision walk on their way with no loss, and little condemnation from society. Those with bad luck see a horrific consequence to their deed and bear the full burden of society's wrath. These people's "moral luck" ran out on them.
    That explains it exactly, willphish. Who'd have thought you were such a well read, philosophical type.

To me this is the equivalent of driving drunk and killing or seriously injuring someone, negligent behavior at best... moral luck indeed.

I hope a group of the people who had real losses due to his actions sue him in civil court when the criminal court is done slapping his wrist. I'm not much of a fan of lawyers, but I will be happy to sign onto the suit as a plaintiff.

As already stated about being such a cowardly act to leave the scene- the cost financially, emotionally and more that folks have lost is just horrible. Material things can be often be replaced (other than personal mementos that hold special meaning), but the memories and sweat people put into their land and homes is truly priceless. The loss of animals lost or killed by the fire is inexcusable. It wouldn't solve anything, but I sure understand the mentality of stoning. Just a ****ed shame all the way around....

I haven't thought of Kant (other than with medical paternalism) in a while- basically lousy people will do what they can get away with until they suffer consequences. Unfortunately there are lots of lousy people!

Fines don't work in this case. Either the insurance will pick up the tab or they simply file bankruptcy. I'm not so sure about a lengthy jail term for them either. Instead I'd like to see a lengthy sentence of community service served in the Willow area. At the community center ect. Let them face and help out those that they disrupted the lives of.