Thread: JBER moose hunts

Default JBER moose hunts

Anybody hear anything yet on this falls drawing hunts? I thought the proficiency tests were usually in August & I haven't hear anything yet from the base about it.

Haven't heard a word. I was really hung the class would be in July before I have to move but nope. I really have to figure out a way to hunt this tag!

If it is like this last year, the JBER folks will hold your tag for a long time. There will be a number of hoops you have to jump through and you need to be patient as it really is a nice hunt. Make sure that you have a copy of your Basic Hunter Ed card, AK Bow Cert, & Hunting License on you (I suggest a photo on your cell phone. If you are lucky you will get about 30 day notice that on an upcoming weekend you will have your JBER archery class and shoot. For the shoot, you must have The bow you will hunt with, The arrows you will hunt with (they want weight, spine, length), The broadhead you wil shoot with, etc.. The 3D shoot is very straight forward on full life moose. There are fairly good maps of the roads at the JBER entrance/visitor shack. Good luck, and be patient, it is worth the restrictions to be able to do this special hunt IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I'm surprised you have to shoot for them. I did a proficiency shoot (aced it) when I got my bow hunter education card all those years ago. The classroom portion of my bow hunter education was a complete joke, but that's another story. Maybe things have changes all these years later.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I'm surprised you have to shoot for them. I did a proficiency shoot (aced it) when I got my bow hunter education card all those years ago. The classroom portion of my bow hunter education was a complete joke, but that's another story. Maybe things have changes all these years later.
    Hunters have had to do a proficiency test specifically for the JBER hunts for as long as I have known. They know people had to take a test to get their certification, but that was who knows how long ago. They want to prove you can hit your target now, close to when you are actually going out to hunt. That is why they require you to do the proficiency shoot with the exact equipment you intend to hunt with.

Ok the letters should have sent out yesterday. The proficiency tests are Sat Aug 22 or Sun Aug23 as far as I can tell at first glance.

Received packet from jber today. Proficiency tests are 22-23 Aug as mentioned.

The JBER proficiency shoot is more challenging than the one needed to get a basic cert, althoughthey're both easy and should be NO PROBLEM if you are proficient enough to be hunting. I had a MZL tag two years ago, and I remember getting the letter (and maybe email?) about the day course (which is helpful and informative about the facility btw) and target shoot much later than I was expecting. I also had a conflict with the date and time, so I called, and they made accommodations for me. The letter will say something to the effect of "this is your one and only chance to do your proficiency check and if you miss it you can't hunt," but just call if the dates don't work for you, and I'd bet they will work with you. The guys that administer these hunts struck me as good guys that want everyone to fill their tags. They're a helpful resource, so use them. Enjoy the hunt!! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Hello, I drew a tag for this hunt but I haven't gotten anything in the mail about this class. I see that it's on the 22nd and 23rd but I don't have any other info. Can someone please help me out with a phone number to call or specific information regarding how to get in the gate and where to go and what I need to bring. I tried calling fish and game but they were no help. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    Hello, I drew a tag for this hunt but I haven't gotten anything in the mail about this class. I see that it's on the 22nd and 23rd but I don't have any other info. Can someone please help me out with a phone number to call or specific information regarding how to get in the gate and where to go and what I need to bring. I tried calling fish and game but they were no help. Thanks
    You need to get a hold of David Elliott the number I have for him is 552-0200
    His email is
    david.elliott.22.ctr@us.af.mil

Living like kings

Thank you very much for the information. I will call and email him right now!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    Thank you very much for the information. I will call and email him right now!
    Did you have any luck getting in touch with these guys about your tag? I had this tag and was successful last year, I hope to draw it again in the future.

Living like kings

If anyone happened to pickup a moose magnet (fiberglass megaphone call) & a caribou antler shed that was a couple feet off a trail please let me know if you would be willing to return the moose call. I realize I took that chance by leaving it there last night but hadn't seen anyone on that trail for 5 days so I left where I have been glassing.
    Thanks,