Thread: Puppy body grip education

Default Puppy body grip education

How do I teach a puppy to stay away from my bodygrip sets?

Leave the pup at home, then you don't have a worry. There is no absolute sure way to teach a dog to avoid a hazard, as they will always be dogs; and well, dogs can do the darndest things. You will always run the risk of a failure, and that means, in the wrong trap, the dog dies. If you are trapping close to home, keep the dog confined. If on a trapline, keep the dog on a leash. You need to decide if you can accept the potential outcome.
    If set on taking the dog, I'd do avoidance training and make it extremely uncomfortable for the dog to even think about getting close to a set. E-collars work very well for that. I know people who have done avoidance training w/ porcupines as the subject, with good success using e-collars, but there are always dogs that will still hit the porcupine regardless of the stimuli used. If you don't have access to an e-collar, I'd use a leash and direct punishment. Sounds cruel, but way less harsh than a 330 closing around a dogs neck. I'd do this at home, with closed traps, not baited, then go to baited traps. I'd do it so anytime the dog walked by a trap he'd swerve around it.
    At that point, I'd decide if I need to bait some mouse traps, or other small traps, and let him get his paw or nose whacked, under supervision, backed up by a severe correction.
    Good luck,
    ARR

Pretty tough to teach a dog to avoid a set since you're baiting one specifically to attract other animals, especially canids.

Dogs seem to always follow their nose.... that big ole piece of bait with a call lure applied is most likely going to overpower whatever training you might accomplish. Wild critters get thrown off sets by human scent and the smells of civilization (fuel, metal, etc)... a domestic dog completely lacks any inhibition to that at all.

Probably best to leave pup at home unless you're just running marten boxes and pole sets he can't get into. A 330 in a lynx cubby won't leave many survivors.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    How do I teach a puppy to stay away from my bodygrip sets?
    Can you give us a better idea of why said puppet might encounter the trap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk