Thread: Dipnetting by boat

Default Dipnetting by boat

Hello everyone - My family and I have always done our dipnetting from the North Bank but this year we wanted to use our boat. Back in 1998 I went with a couple guys but we had launched from a private ramp then ran down to the area south of the bridge. I have never turned off the road to get to the city boat ramp so if possible please start me off there. Also I understand because of motor restrictions (ours is a 200 Optimax) we can only fish up to a certain point which when crossing the bridge you cannot even see the northern boundary.

Thanks Pops

1591 boat launch road
    Kenai 99611

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can a guy launch and retrieve at low tide? I have a 15' Zodiac on a trailer. Too heavy to carry though... Is there pavement going that far down?

I was told that they close for two hours on each side of the low tides. Personally I have not had a problem being able to get in and out. I have a 16' cataraft with a 20hp on it and I managed. I would call them and ask the questions.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...naiSalmon.main

This has the best information that I have found.

If your motor is Kenai legal you can launch at Eagle Rock and motor down.
    Eagle Rock is now a state parks facility though annual launch passes are not valid there.
    It is $35 to launch at the city dock or $20 to launch at eagle Rock.
    The city Launch does get extremely crowded and you have to watch out for other boaters. We got backed into while pulling into the ramp for our waiting trailer a few years back by an inattentive boater.
    It is best if you can drop off someone to wait in line and back the trailer down while someone else drives the boat and waits for the trailer to arrive.
    This keeps the docks clear for others as the wait can be over an hour. So make sure you have another person comfortable running the boat and/or backing the trailer down for you.
    Be sure to tie your nets off with stout rope to the front of your boat. Some people prefer to attach a 2x4 or a stout pipe across their bow to get a straighter pull on the nets.
    Attach the line to the center of your net where the hoop attaches. I use a bowline knot and put it through the center then over the post for the hoop then attach the handle.This gives me a straight pull that doesn't slide up or down and keeps the net orientated correctly.
    You want your handles no longer than 6' or so to be used comfortably. Longer handles are a pain and can easily wack others in the boat or damage stuff.
    The boat driver should only be tasked with driving the boat and should not run a net. This will keep you and your family much safer as the driver can concentrate on what is going on around you and avoid accidents from other inattentive boaters,obstacles like rocks and mooring buoys,etc..
    have fun and be safe.
    A few fish are not worth risking your families safety for.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Good info Peter - Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petersx3 View Post

Kevin - that's the same situation I was concerned about. I found the real time feed but haven't caught anyone loading or off loading at low tide. There must be a reason for the two-hour halt at the ramp. I suppose if I were to get out there and the tide didn't allow access to the ramp I could sit it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Can a guy launch and retrieve at low tide? I have a 15' Zodiac on a trailer. Too heavy to carry though... Is there pavement going that far down?

Well our motor is f-stroke DFI which is a good thing. I appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by petersx3 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jr/pop View Post
    Kevin - that's the same situation I was concerned about. I found the real time feed but haven't caught anyone loading or off loading at low tide. There must be a reason for the two-hour halt at the ramp. I suppose if I were to get out there and the tide didn't allow access to the ramp I could sit it out.
    It isn't about the amount of pavement. The bottom of the ramp is so muddy at the lowest tides that it is unusable.
    They used to take the time to scoop it off with a loader and hose it off as the tide receded. But it took a lot of extra work,was hard on the loader and I think it still was problematic.
    I think it is just easier/safer to close the ramp on those times and not have any issues or people getting stuck in the slick mud.
    Especially when every boat and every truck is different. Some need deeper water than others and some are not 4wd etc.
    If I was told I had to wait and was done dipping I would just tie the boat off to a mooring buoy and wait until my driver was allowed to come down with the trailer.
    That's what I have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    ...I would just tie the boat off to a mooring buoy....
    Be aware that those buoys belong to somebody else who may or may not like you being there...

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Be aware that those buoys belong to somebody else who may or may not like you being there...
    Yes and when we do it we do so being ready to move if/when the boat assigned to that buoy arrives.
    Last time I did so was a few years back but there were a few mooring buoys not far from the city dock.
    It sure beats the heck out of jockying around on the river for another hour or more waiting your turn to load up.

The cities flashing sign tonight read "boat ramp closed 2 hours before and after low tide" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The cities flashing sign tonight read "boat ramp closed 2 hours before and after low tide" or something like that.
    Correct that is exactly what it says. I just drove over bridge access road at 9 pm plenty of water not a single person in sight, that should tell you something about how many sockeye are in the river. this week we have minus tides tomorrow is a -2.8 so the ramp will be closed for several hours. Based on what fish and game told me you would get more meat by sport fishing for king salmon in the rivers or going to dip net at Kasilof because as they told me don't waste your time Kenai reds are not here yet.