Thread: How to hunt Alaska for a non-resident

Default How to hunt Alaska for a non-resident

I'm hoping to get some input into how I can hunt Alaska as a non-resident without selling a kidney. I know from what I've read I have to have a guide for Sheep/Goat/Bear, but what about everything else? If I have some friends (co-workers) that will put me up, can I head out with them and kill say, an elk/moose/caribou? Would my cost simply be the cost of a license plus necessary tags?

Hope this isn't a question that gets asked daily, but I'm not sure where to go for the best input.

All your information is listed here for tag and lic information: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.prices

As for other costs:

Flight: $1,000
    Logistics to get you into the bush: $100-$7,000
    Taxidermy?
    Food: $100-$300
    Gear: Game bags, spotting scope, rain gear, 4 season tent, sleeping bag, gps, rifle, bullets, etc.
    Shipping meat home:$0-$1000

I am currently planning an Alaska hunt. The best thing that you can do is to select your prime animal that you would like to harvest and plan your hunt from there. If you are looking to stay the whole time with your co-workers, that may limit your choices. Its hard to do any hunt from the lower 48 to alaska for less than $2,000 and then it just goes up from there. Let me know if you have questions and I will be willing to help. However, I will not do all of the work for you. Part of the fun is doing the research yourself! I will point you in the right direction though!

Well books have been written about this very question:
    Larry Bartlett has a couple of titles; Mike Strahan has a comprehensive book on float hunting; Dennis Confer wrote "Hunt Alaska Now"; Chris Batin wrote "Hunting In Alaska". All are worth reading with info for both residents and nonresidents.
    You may want to contact a "hunt planner"; see Bartlett and/or Strahan, above.

Thanks,

I'll look around there so more. That is the page I had, but I was asking some folks who are going on guided hunts and they said that my plan would not work.

Perfect ..... I'll check some of those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Well books have been written about this very question:
    Larry Bartlett has a couple of titles; Mike Strahan has a comprehensive book on float hunting; Dennis Confer wrote "Hunt Alaska Now"; Chris Batin wrote "Hunting In Alaska". All are worth reading with info for both residents and nonresidents.
    You may want to contact a "hunt planner"; see Bartlett and/or Strahan, above.

I appreciate the offer. I don't expect you to do it for me I just was hoping for some pointers into the right direction. I realize I might be limited by where I stay, but hopefully I can find a buddy who lives in a prime spot since the bulk of the fixed cost will be in transportation to AK.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_3 View Post
    All your information is listed here for tag and lic information: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntlicense.prices

As for other costs:

Flight: $1,000
    Logistics to get you into the bush: $100-$7,000
    Taxidermy?
    Food: $100-$300
    Gear: Game bags, spotting scope, rain gear, 4 season tent, sleeping bag, gps, rifle, bullets, etc.
    Shipping meat home:$0-$1000

I am currently planning an Alaska hunt. The best thing that you can do is to select your prime animal that you would like to harvest and plan your hunt from there. If you are looking to stay the whole time with your co-workers, that may limit your choices. Its hard to do any hunt from the lower 48 to alaska for less than $2,000 and then it just goes up from there. Let me know if you have questions and I will be willing to help. However, I will not do all of the work for you. Part of the fun is doing the research yourself! I will point you in the right direction though!

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelpwr View Post
    I appreciate the offer. I don't expect you to do it for me I just was hoping for some pointers into the right direction. I realize I might be limited by where I stay, but hopefully I can find a buddy who lives in a prime spot since the bulk of the fixed cost will be in transportation to AK.
    A good place to start is determining your budget. What is the most that you can spend? If it is 3000 or less you may want to look into some Canadian hunts. A realistic budget to hunt by road would be $3000, $4000 by boat, $5,000-$7,500 for a plane ride.

Do your co-workers hunt? If so I would be asking them what kind of game they harvest and about the logistics they go through to get them.

Where do your co-workers live?

While guided hunts for premium critters at premium prices gets the bulk of the attention....

You can hunt here as a non-resident relatively affordably- black bears in South Central for example can be done for little more than a tag, license and a rental car with a pretty decent chance of success if you can hike above tree line.

Haul road caribou are slightly tougher logistically but still not out of reach for a lot of guys. If you can swing the cost of a drop camp- it's a great hunt, highly successful and still not what you'd spend to shoot a trophy whitetail in Texas.

Moose tend to be much more expensive due to transportation, freight and other costs associated as well as a much lower success rate.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Also-If your co-workers are not going to be hunting with you, I would be seeking out 1-2 other partners. Not too smart to go into the bush without a partner. This also helps make the trip cheaper for you as you can split some of the costs and supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_3 View Post
    A good place to start is determining your budget. What is the most that you can spend? If it is 3000 or less you may want to look into some Canadian hunts. A realistic budget to hunt by road would be $3000, $4000 by boat, $5,000-$7,500 for a plane ride.

Do your co-workers hunt? If so I would be asking them what kind of game they harvest and about the logistics they go through to get them.

Where do your co-workers live?
    I still have to figure out where they live and all of those details. I wanted to do a little homework before I approached them to see if it's even possible.

I didn't even give Canada a thought, but that might make more sense considering I could drive it both ways.

You have friends that live there? Then yes, you may hunt with them - with some caveats as detailed by ADF&G. As a non-resident, I've been able to harvest a caribou and a black bear on DIY "adventures". Just remember AK isn't a place that is cheap or physically easy to hunt and road based opportunities for non-residents are limited. Most good opportunities involve a boat ride or air charter, but with friends/acquaitances you may have a head start on getting there. Remember that weight = money and that cash is king. Your license and tags will be the cheapest of your expenses.

However, may I suggest you get an Alaskan Airlines Visa card, get the free round-trip ticket and make the trip. Then you can save for your next trip, and your next, and your next, etc.

Default Do-it-Yourself Alaska Hunting

First off, welcome to the site! You are absolutely going to love this place.

We have created an entire section of this site that's designed to provide answers to most of the questions you have asked. It's our Hunt Planning Section, and you can access it AT THIS LINK. That page is set up similar to a blog, in that it contains the opening sentences of each page, with a "click here to read more" link at the bottom of each one. Once you're in that section, you will find many individual pages that explore various aspects of the planning process, as follows:

Hunt Planner
    Getting Started
    Timeline
    Aerial Photos
    ADFG Contacts
    Hunt Locations
    Game Management Unit Map

We also have pages for each of our Big-Game species, which contain details on distribution, biology, hunting tactics and more. You can find the pages by clicking AT THIS LINK.

Note that each of these sections has menus on the left-hand side of the page, with links to additional content.

If I could offer a friendly word of advice, it would be to avoid asking too many basic questions in the forums before you've read up on this stuff. Some of the real experts here in the forums are more than happy to help, but they don't want to waste their time with someone who has not made an investment in the research phase of this. I don't blame them. If, on the other hand, you dig into this yourself, you're going to have much more meaningful questions and will get a much better result in the forums. Just my 2.

If you do believe you need help from a hunt planner, I am of course happy to help you. Not everyone needs someone like me, but I think I can save you a lot of time, headache, and money. HERE'S THE LINK to my Hunt Planner page, which provides more details, in addition to a YouTube video explaining the planning service. There are other hunt planners on the market, and I encourage you to check all of them out. Each brings something different to the table. In my case, two things set me apart (in my understanding): 1) you only pay my fee once, and subsequent hunts are free. I don't charge you for each hunt. and 2) I don't put a cap on the amount of time I am available to you. We usually schedule our calls in advance and we will take however much time it takes to get the job done.

I wish you all the best in your efforts!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    First off, welcome to the site! You are absolutely going to love this place.

We have created an entire section of this site that's designed to provide answers to most of the questions you have asked. It's our Hunt Planning Section, and you can access it AT THIS LINK. That page is set up similar to a blog, in that it contains the opening sentences of each page, with a "click here to read more" link at the bottom of each one. Once you're in that section, you will find many individual pages that explore various aspects of the planning process, as follows:

Hunt Planner
    Getting Started
    Timeline
    Aerial Photos
    ADFG Contacts
    Hunt Locations
    Game Management Unit Map

We also have pages for each of our Big-Game species, which contain details on distribution, biology, hunting tactics and more. You can find the pages by clicking AT THIS LINK.

Note that each of these sections has menus on the left-hand side of the page, with links to additional content.

If I could offer a friendly word of advice, it would be to avoid asking too many basic questions in the forums before you've read up on this stuff. Some of the real experts here in the forums are more than happy to help, but they don't want to waste their time with someone who has not made an investment in the research phase of this. I don't blame them. If, on the other hand, you dig into this yourself, you're going to have much more meaningful questions and will get a much better result in the forums. Just my 2.

If you do believe you need help from a hunt planner, I am of course happy to help you. Not everyone needs someone like me, but I think I can save you a lot of time, headache, and money. HERE'S THE LINK to my Hunt Planner page, which provides more details, in addition to a YouTube video explaining the planning service. There are other hunt planners on the market, and I encourage you to check all of them out. Each brings something different to the table. In my case, two things set me apart (in my understanding): 1) you only pay my fee once, and subsequent hunts are free. I don't charge you for each hunt. and 2) I don't put a cap on the amount of time I am available to you. We usually schedule our calls in advance and we will take however much time it takes to get the job done.

I wish you all the best in your efforts!

Best regards,

-Mike
    Thanks for the input. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll do some digging and form a strategy and figure out what I don't know before I ask more questions.