Thread: Calling moose before the 20th of Sept.

Default Calling moose before the 20th of Sept.

What's the earliest anyone has called in bulls ? Just wondering seeing how they shut down unit 16 10 days earlier this year and all the bulls I have called in over there in years past have always been around 25-30 th ,Never had any luck before then. Get a few whiners about overcrowding in unit 16 and see what happens !!!They shut it down 10 days early
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

My Buddy called in a spike fork on august 20 a few years back, so I'd say its doable
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up 9th Sep

Mine showed up on the morning of the 9th Sep young bull and racking brought him in........40"

Called another one in on the 7th sep but I let him walk......
    Alaska

Mark

One year I called in 4 different moose on the 16th and 17th. I had been calling continuously for 3 days (mornings and evenings), so I had started on the 15th.

I called in a very nice bull on Sep 2. He came in running full bore until my idiot x partner yells, "here comes a bull". The bull left faster than he came in.

If you want to call in a bull in the early part of the rut, plan on a very long and hard hunt especially if you hunt unit 16b.

Called mine on the Sept 3rd. But only used light cow calls. he was young and dumb, but very tasty

Mark

One year a partner and I hunted a unit that closed on Sept. 15th. We got up high on a mountain and glassed a river valley. Within minutes we found bulls, at least 3 of them. We noted were they were on the map and made our way to them.

I'd called my way in to bulls before, but later in the season. It didn't work this time. The bulls must have just layed down, because they never responded and they didn't run away. We got up on that mountain a couple of days later and saw them in nearly the same spot. We tried to call our way in to them again. Yet again, it didn't work. They didn't respond at all.

All that must have happened between the 5th or 6th and the 15th.

I have good luck every year calling in bulls after the 8th of September. I called one in once on the 5th

Roger,
    I have called in bulls as early as the 12th and by the 15th a mature bull will come to the call if your not in a heavily hunted area. The 17th is prime time as they are starting to go nuts.

If your in heavily hunted areas it will be later. With that airboat you should have no problem. Just don't be as aggressive as you would the 25th with your grunts. Stick to more brush thrashing.

It will work.

Default I Tried

I tried calling one collect and he wouldn't accept the charges.... get it? charges? *HAH*
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Sam ,Drop me an email I lost yours when my computer crashed....Wish I had one of those fancy blueberry things you have ?....
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!