Thread: Whittier Coho Regs

Default Whittier Coho Regs

I'm reading the regs on page 83 lower right last paragraph re: Whittier terminal harvest area. So I can catch 6 silvers per day and have 12 in possession if I made a 2 day trip so long as I stay west of the line from Gradual Point to Trinity Point. If I cross that line with more than 3 silvers, I am in violation of the 3 silver in possession rule on page 81 under Other Salmon.

1. Am I understanding that correctly?
    2. Is there some difference in the silvers on one side of the line from the other? It just seems odd to have such an extreme difference in bag/possession limits for what I assume are the same fish swimming in the same water.

Thoughts?

The inside of the line Valdez side of Valdez arm is considered terminal harvest area Due to hatchery released fish. Most likely same thing applies for Whittier. Out side of terminal harvest areas they went to 3 fish limits years ago to protect wild runs.

Many thanks, fishinslut! That makes sense to me.

My two-bit opinion, Gary, is that you could go east of that line with up to 12 fish that you caught inside the higher bag/possession limit area as long as you don't fish at all while you're out to the east in the lower limit area. That would be similar to the Resurrection Bay lingcod rule where you can catch your lingcod limit outside the bay but once you come back into the bay (where lingcod are totally closed) you cannot fish at all. Techincally, you are over the lingcod limit while back in Res Bay, but as long as you're not fishing you're not breaking the rules. (For that matter, once you came home to Anchorage with your Passage Canal-caught fish, you'd also over the limit for Anchorage's regulations)

Of course, it would be good to get ADFG's opinion on this. The Resurrection Bay lingcod rule is explicitly explained in the books and no such clarification is provided in the other sections (that I could see).
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Yep, I see what you mean, MRFISH. Thanks for making it a little more clear.

That is my plan, get six run and pull the pots, sleep for the night and go get six more... As long as I don't wet a line I should be fine. Not like I have ever been checked by a trooper out of Whitter.. Well except for in November for deer and once in Unakwik bear hunting.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'd bet money that in possession mean just that, in possession. Just like when you fish out of Seward for silvers you can't catch your 6 when your in Resurrection Bay and then go outside of the bay with more than 3 silvers in possession (on your boat) because then you're over you possession limit for outside the bay. That's why people catch their 3 silvers in Res Bay, then go outside for halibut, then catch their last 3 silvers after they get back inside the bay (unless of course you have a ling on board that you caught outside). Except on odd days and blue moons I believe.

Or you can catch your halibut and three outside the bay, then catch 3 more inside the bay, provided no ling. I'd go with the thought that if your possession limit will be exceeded by crossing a line into an area with different limits, you best not cross the line!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

This one still had me wondering, so I called the ADFG info line and they confirmed my interpretation...you can catch and possess the higher amount of fish inside the line and then go outside...as long as you don't fish for anything while you're in the lower limit areas. Once you put a line in the water in an area with lower limits, you'd potentially be in violation.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson