Thread: Is a yellow beacon required for towing?

Default Is a yellow beacon required for towing?

Do I need a yellow beacon to tow a 9'4" wide boat. I have the permit and "oversize" signs. My permit lists the requirements (like the oversize sign, stopping at weigh stations, etc) but it does not say I need a yellow beacon. Any help appreciated.

You are correct you do not need one. You need to follow the conditions of your permit. I see lots of people with a yellow flashing light, they have no clue. A few years ago a trooper pulled me over because I had a light on the roof, he looked at my permit and made me remove it from the roof before I could continue down the road.

Thats my 2 cents

The Alaska Oversize Towing regulations must have changed this season because the way I read them any load over 8' 6" requires an amber yellow beacon and is a required item on the permit. This has been the same for quite a long time. Check with the State Permits Office.

If it's not listed on your permit you don't need it. It was listed on my permit once and the next one not..
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe it's only for 10' wide and over? If it weren't Sunday, I'd call, but in the mean time the issue is mixed in my mind. The regs are not clear to me, but lean toward needing one, yet my permit doesn't list it so I would think it would be hard to ticket me. Maybe I will buy one and bring it along in case I get stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    If it's not listed on your permit you don't need it. It was listed on my permit once and the next one not..
    What he said. If you answer the questions on the permit application accurately to what you will be towing then you are given a permit with stipulations based on your answers. If it's not on your permit it's not required.

I just spoke with Alaska State Commercial Vehicle Enforcement who told me that the first requirement on the Permit is always Oversize banners on the front and rear and an amber flashing beacon required for movement if the load exceeds 8' 6". Any load over 10' 6" requires a pilot car.

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    I just spoke with Alaska State Commercial Vehicle Enforcement who told me that the first requirement on the Permit is always Oversize banners on the front and rear and an amber flashing beacon required for movement if the load exceeds 8' 6". Any load over 10' 6" requires a pilot car.
    I just looked at my permit and the first "Condition" is "Driver must be able to produce copy of permit upon request and must stop at all open weigh stations." I have 10 other conditions (11 total) and NONE of them mention a beacon of any kind.

Condition #8 on my permit says, "May also travel during hours of darkness following all applicable requirements specified in 49 CFR 390-396, 13 AAC 04.010-145 and the State of Alaska Administrative Permits Manual Section 13. I have not read these requirements and its possible that to travel during hours of darkness you need a beacon, but my permit does not specifically address a beacon in the same way it has a separate condition listed for Oversize banners.

It could also be that "Commercial" vehicles that are over 8'6" must have the beacon, but I'm not commercial and my permit does not say Commercial. My permit is an "Extended Period Oversize Permit" Like I said earlier, apply online, answer the questions, pay the fee and you get a permit with conditions that match the way you answered the questions.

On my permit one of the conditions is that I have a beacon.

Here is my permit

Your permit comes from Division of Measurement Standards and Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, DOT&PF. The only item which does not apply to personally owned equipment is "commercial insurance". I have never applied for an "Extended Period" permit, but the amber flashing light is required for both day and night operation.

You make it sound like I don't have the right permit and that there is another place to get a permit. I'll admit I'm new at this. Whittier tunnel measured the boat, stamped the permit and has accepted the permit the four times that I've rolled through. I run with Oversize banners on the front of truck and back of boat. You will not see me with a beacon during the day. If I plan on running at night I'll check the regs according to condition #8 on my permit.

1S1K
    That is the correct permit and you do not need a yellow light on your roof. What you do need to do is follow the conditions of your permit. Number 9 states oversized signs front and back. I don't know how else some of these guys can say it. You need to follow the conditions of YOUR permit,,,, not somebody else's permit,,, your permit. They can be differant.

While one always has to obey the law, permitted or not, a quick review of the permit doesn't indicate a requirement for a yellow light:

1) Such a requirement is not listed on the permit
    2) The only additional requirement is that: a) driving after dark requires; b) compliance with various regulations (CFR, AAC, etc).
    3) While I didn't take the time to look up the CFR sections, they're in all likelihood simply a duplicate of the AAC sections. Those AAC sections simply specify requirements for lighting equipment on various sizes of trailers, trucks, etc. ....and there are unique requirements for certain vehicles (Post Office, snowplows, etc)

(Admittedly, I didn't look up the Admin Permit manual either...but in prior experience, the requirements of that manual typically end up being put on the permit).

I suspect you'll be fine if you comply with the conditions of the permit.....if there's any doubt, don't drive at night.

Looking into this further here is where I see the difference. Not sure why there is a differnce but it exists. If you go to this site http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/index.cfm?go=mscve.permits You'll see under Permit Forms that there is "Online Permits" and right under that "Oversize Permits forms - PDF. If you click on the Oversize Permit Form pdf version you'll get a form that you need to fill out and submit in-person, via fax, or mail in. This form has a beacon stipulation. If you click on the "Online Permits" link you will get a log-in page which is where you use your MyAlaska log in. If you have ever filed online for your PFD its the same log-in. Log in and follow the prompts. You can play with the program and answer the required questions and get all the way to a "Not Valid Permit" so that you can see what your stipulations would be based on how you answered the questions. This is the path I took and ended up with the permit that I have. I was not trying to avoid a beacon. I was trying to avoid having to handwrite a form and submit via fax, mail, or in-person.

Lastly, I will agree without having read the 1258 page CFR that if I was towing at night I should probably have a beacon.

The hours of darkness rules require reflective tape on the rear of the load on the widest section as well as red lights that can be see from either behind or oncoming on the widest portion of the load. I have both and have never been hassled. I emailed the permit folks and they told me what I did sounded fine and the rules were primarily for commercial folks but did apply to me as well.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Beacon no beacon !!! whats the big deal stick it on the roof and maybe the dummy thats going to head on you might see it and miss you. What about all the oversize boats going down the roads with NOTHING on them no signs, no flags, not to ever mention a beacon. I don't think i've ever seen a rec boat in one of the weigh stations ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Weight stations are never open any more. If they are open I will stop.

After reading the differing comments and opinions on this thread I decided to see what stipulations were on my permits and I think I have found where the confusion and differences are.

On all of my “Oversize Permits” (all were single trip, 3 Day permits) for the past 8 years there has been a requirement for the beacon. On a single “Extended Period Oversize Permit,” Issued for 30 days in 2012, it does not have a requirement for the beacon. Some the permits were obtained in person at DOT but most were done online.

It is my opinion that DOT has made an error on the ““Extended Period Oversize Permit” by not putting the requirement for the beacon on the permit. Why would single trip permits require a beacon and multiple trip, extended permits not require it? I would also agree that if you comply with all the requirements on YOUR permit you should not be cited if stopped at a weigh station or pulled over by a Trooper.

I don’t see using a beacon as a BIG deal and agree with Steve – if you are pulling a boat under a permit just use a beacon and don’t worry about it.