Thread: Charter Boat Tipping question

Default Charter Boat Tipping question

My wife and I will be heading out on a combo fishing charter out of Seward and would like some clarification on tipping. I have done research and seen 15-20% of the cost of the charter is normal and that the tip usually goes to the mate (not the captain). Is the 15-20% split among all of the mates if there is more than one mate onboard?

Clarification on the not tipping the captain and the splitting of the tip would be greatly appreciated.

The tips are most often split between the captain and the mates. Not sure where you got not tipping the captain. He or she is the one that got you on the fish and back home safely. Captains don't make that much money.

Default Charter Boat Tipping question

We have always given the tip to the captain, a captain at doesn't split that with his mate won't have a mate for long.

Co-worker of mines son was mate for a charter captain several summers and the captain gave him all their tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've felt comfortable giving it to the captain every time except once. The captain was an idiot and blamed his two deck hands for everything that went wrong, usually his own fault. The whole trip was a cluster, and Captain Bligh went on and on about how he was a real pro in a world of incompetents.

I slipped the two deckhands each a $50, and said more would likely be coming from the boat owner rather than their skipper. THEN I looked up the boat owner, gave him the remainder of the tip and explained what I'd been seeing going on. Months later the owner reported back, telling me my additional tip got passed on to the deck hands as I requested, and he had a wee small chat with the skipper. Now a former skipper. Makes me proud!

It depends on how hard they work for you. I never based my tips on the catching, but rather the fishing. Is the Skip busting his but to put fish in the boat or just getting paid, same for the deckhands. I've tipped, and been tipped up to 50% of the trip, but those are rare days.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Common practice is to tip the cappy, and let him divvy it up as he sees fit. Not to say there couldn't be an exception, as in brown bears case above, but most of the time it's up to the cappy. 10-20%, (or more, possibly )...or less, if the effort isn't there.
    Don't tip on amount of fish caught; rather, on attitude, knowledge, friendliness, and effort.

I base mine on level of service. I went out of homer a few times this spring on winter king charters, the deck hand busted his butt and froze his nose and toes to keep swapping up combos of flashers and baits to get the fish to hit. You can be assured he got a 50% tip from me as well as the other people that I brought down with me. Good service and hard work will get my hard earned dollars every time and it does not matter if I come home with a cooler full of fish or not. If the service is there the tips are good because the next time you charter that outfit, they know how you are and will work extra hard to get you on the fish. At least, that has been my experience.

Thank you all for the replies. The trip went well and ended up tipping 20%. The day was rainy (not their fault), and the fishing was fairly good. Didn't limit out, but their service and attitude were great. Can't blame them for not getting limits as they were doing their best to get us on the fish.