Thread: nenana from brushkana

Default nenana from brushkana

A few friends and I want to take our alpaca backpacking rafts from the denali highway to the riverboat takeout on the parks. We would prefer to do this in just a single day. I was wondering if anyone thinks this is a possible. If this may be longer than one days float are there any other places along the parks you would recommend.

Thanks.

I'm sure others have more recent experience, but I did this trip several times back in the 1960's with my father & brother in a 12' jon boat. As I recall we did in in less than 6 hours. Certainly less than a full day. It is a pretty easy float, but has nice scenery. At the times we did it, the area was loaded with caribou, and made for several successful hunts.

I would say that trip would be very possible in under a day. Watch out for jet-boaters and whatnot and you should have a nice leisurely trip.

I did this last week in a canoe. Put in off the highway before Brushkana and floated it in about 6 hrs including a long lunch break. We went up the night before and camped and then floated it the next morning. However, I don't know why it wouldn't be possible as a long one day round trip. As noted, watch for the river boats on the lower portion.

Yellowknife

Default Slow water

A friend and I floated on catarafts from Brushkana CG a couple of years ago during high water and once Brushkana Creek dumps into the Monahan Creek, the water becomes very slow until it nears Seattle Creek. We took out at the Parks Highway bridge. It took us almost 2 days to float although we were stopping to fish at all the clearwater tributaries and enjoying leisurely lunches. Sounds like fun for an Alpaca.