Thread: electric fillet knife for rock fish

Default electric fillet knife for rock fish

Anyone use this for rock fish? I have been mullling it over for a long time now, as the family loves the black bass but the Dad (me) hates getting stabbed by them and dulling his favorite fillet knives. (Maybe I just need to change techniques)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I think it works great but dulls the blade fast so have extras.

[QUOTE=wildog;1491086]Anyone use this for rock fish? I have been mullling it over for a long time now, as the family loves the black bass but the Dad (me) hates getting stabbed by them and dulling his favorite fillet knives. (Maybe I just need to change techniques)[/QUote
    Get yourself a good serrated blade for rockfish - They last alot longer.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Penetrate the skin in the soft area behind the head and keep your blade under the skin while filleting and your blade sharpness will last just as long as filleting any other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I just bought a new electric for this very reason. Sportsmans in wasilla had them on sale for $17 a couple weeks ago. I grew up cleaning crappie and sandbass with an electric and hate using a manual knife, I can do scale fish like black rocks 3 times as fast and cleaner, as well as removing the skin with an electric. Once you get good with one you'll be wishing you could do everything with it.

I started filleting them from the tail first and filleting around the rib cage. It seems a lot easier and since you are not cutting across the scales, it is easier on your blade.

I use the little Victorinox red knife with a serrated blade to cut through the skin near spine, then use my filet knife.

I got one of these scalers from Cabela's. It works really well. Only used it a couple of times, I have a bucket of water and dunk the fish after using it and then fillet...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Magic...tt=fish+scaler
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Cizmo_AK49 View Post
    I use the little Victorinox red knife with a serrated blade to cut through the skin near spine, then use my filet knife.
    I like that idea. Victorinox is my favorite brand by far too.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

i use a box cutter

I use a good quality bread type serrated knife on rock fish,than strip the skin with a stiff French knife. The knife Iím using now is a 10Ē Dexter with Sani-clean white handle, picked it up on Amazon for around $30. Makes short work of rock fish, works great on salmon also.
    I bought a good electric fish knife a couple of years back,no way as fast as a good serrated knife. Some serrated knifes are like a saw, not good, it needs to be more like a bread knife or youíll mutilate the meat.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I started filleting them from the tail first and filleting around the rib cage. It seems a lot easier and since you are not cutting across the scales, it is easier on your blade.
    This is the best way to fillet them, you shouldn't need anything more than a sharp standard fillet knife.