Thread: Filet gloves. Tired of getting cut and poked

Default Filet gloves. Tired of getting cut and poked

What do you guys wear when processing fish? I'm constantly getting poked from rock fish and when I'm not I'm getting nicks and cuts from my knife. What do the charter deck hands use or commercial guys? Thanks, Hunter

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

There's about a bazillion choices out there. I don't really care about the brand, long as it fits my hand pretty close and cost less than $10. Check in Amazon if you want an idea of all the choices.

Of course, the worst recent cut I had wasn't helped by the glove. Swatted at a fly while filleting and stabbed myself halfway up the forearm, getting a vein in the process. Color me stoopid....

I have been using the Rapala one Walmart sells, a bit big for me but it works fine when processing a bunch of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a coho tooth puncture last fall which resulted in a severe case of necrotic celluitis....i.e. The worst fish bite infection of my life.

Nasty stuff.

So I got myself a Lindy glove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindy-Fish-H...item4d3484a0b9

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    I got a coho tooth puncture last fall which resulted in a severe case of necrotic celluitis....i.e. The worst fish bite infection of my life.

Nasty stuff.

So I got myself a Lindy glove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindy-Fish-H...item4d3484a0b9
    I have this glove, and it works well. But as I understand it (and experience it) the glove is great for cuts, but a sharp fillet knife tip (or a coho tooth maybe...) will still puncture to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    I have this glove, and it works well. But as I understand it (and experience it) the glove is great for cuts, but a sharp fillet knife tip (or a coho tooth maybe...) will still puncture to some extent.
    Yeah, I read the fine print about that part when I bought it but it seems VERY cut and puncture resistant.....WAY better than bare skin or any normal glove.

In the 16 trips I've made to AK, only two real incidents besides the regular line cuts and stuff was a hook in the finger in '03 (funny story how the fish snagged me) and then last year's fish tooth infection.

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES
    Attached Images Attached Images