Thread: ? For those bow hunters with bad eyes.

Default ? For those bow hunters with bad eyes.

About 10 years ago I had an eye injury that damaged the lens in my right eye (my shooting eye) I now have an intra ocular lens in that eye and can not see anything up close. (I believe it's the same thing they do to people with cataracts.) I have had to make adjustments on almost all of my shooting. I now shoot my pistol right handed with my left eye. I have trouble shooting open sights on anything now however I can still shoot well enough to hunt. Now shooting by bow has been a bit of a challenge from day one. I still practice out to 60yds and would feel totally confident shooting that far however my sights have always been very blurry. I can't really see anything up close through my right eye, reading is impossible but I can see fairly well with reading glasses.
    So my question is for those of you that have eye problems. What do you use for shooting for those of you who can't see up close. Reading glasses work up close so I can see sights but I can't see farther away.
    I have killed a lot of animals since the injury I'm just looking to improve my ability to see the sights again and going left handed is not going to happen.
    Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    About 10 years ago I had an eye injury that damaged the lens in my right eye (my shooting eye) I now have an intra ocular lens in that eye and can not see anything up close. (I believe it's the same thing they do to people with cataracts.)
    Ah jeeze.......something I have to look forward to I guess, as I was just informed that I am in the beginning stage of cataracts, and am also a high risk for, what they call, narrow eye glaucoma. I'll be having more testing done late Aug.

Yesterday I was just talking to my buddy, who is also an avid bow hunter about this. He said it's also getting hard for him. Forgive me if this sounds too far fetched to be of any reality as I'm not a bow hunter, but could a person fabricate some kind of small bracket to hold a small type of magnifying glass in front of the sights? Do you think something like that could potentially work? Just a thought.....

On a different note, as I was talking to my buddy I just realized that I just got new prescription glasses that are a "progressive" lens that I now am trying to get used to. Which also means I'll need to get the rifles out to see how I'm gonna manage looking through the scope now. Should be a "real blast" figuring that out.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Tom Miranda used a sight that was like a rifle sight attached to his bow. Its called hind sight and might be something that could work for you

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by realunlucky View Post
    Tom Miranda used a sight that was like a rifle sight attached to his bow. Its called hind sight and might be something that could work for you

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Makes sense as I was thinking it might be magnified, but this guy says it's not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPl4BoRKWuo
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Buy a longbow and you won't have to worry about sights.

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    I started shooting a compound when I was about 5 and have only ever hunted with one. I can shoot a trad bow pretty well and have killed a lot of small game with one but I just can't get myself to release an arrow on a big game animal. It just dosnt feel right without sights.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

These work pretty well http://www.specialtyarch.com/faq-new/verifiers/. I know many guys that compete with these, even in the rain, they just make custom covers for them.

http://www.specialtyarch.com/product...iers/verifier/
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    I certainly agree with that !!! Moreover, you'll have more fun hunting, believe me. Plus, it's extremely fast by comparison.

Ive shot with one of these for 20 years. Both eyes open so the dot appears to float on the target. If you get up to the Valley, you can come shoot it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albumhttp...psfbf2a474.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer