Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vacpacker ?

Default vacpacker ?

My cabela's cg-15 pump just smoked. It has had a pretty hard 5 years.

Anyone have experience with some of the cheaper chamber packers available from Costco and Cabela's? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...gclsrc%3Daw.ds

Cabela's has a pretty good deal on the Vacmaster.

I jsut got a VP 215 from Costco......still have a cg-15 that refuses to die but I wanted something that was more straightforward so I could put visiting folks to work when processing.

It has been awesome, I've got about 200 lbs of halibut and salmon through it already this year with my slew of visitors, haven't lost a single seal. I even vackpacked gravy! Bags are soooo much cheaper (8cents), and as said, their use is much more straight forward, no working out the bubbles, prefreezing, patting stuff down etc. like I did to get a similar product with my cg-15 (which is still a great product...don't get me wrong).

My only word of caution is when you go to pick it up.....it's deceptively heavy (80+ lbs), so don't throw your back out, or leave the costco cashier giggling maniacally when you grunt while trying to pick up the box (like I did).....bring a cart.

I bought my parents one of these VP215 a few years ago.
    We have done over 200# of fish at one time without stopping and it did great. We did not need to let it cool off or anything just kept plugging away.
    It is an oilless system that doesn't have quite as much suction as the oil pumps do.
    I was told that it would not do the mylar bags for retort canning.
    I do wish it was a bit longer but not enough to pay for the price of the larger units.
    Overall I would recommend this machine. I bought the one my parents have from Walmart in Kenai.
    When I buy one I am looking at one of the ones with an oil pump on it as my wife wants to do the Mylar bags and retort can some fish.
    If not for that I would a VP215.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I bought a VP112 a couple years ago...it was the smallest chamber vac I could find, kind of a tabletop model (although it still weighs 50+ lbs) I think it was about 600 bucks. It's done a great job, although I haven't used it a ton, but no problems so far.

I have the VP 215 also and have ran thousands of bags through it with no issues. I started using a fan blowing on the back of it to keep it from heating up and works perfect. That would be the only complaint I have is it does get really hot after about 75 bags ran through it. You would think commerical would mean that it would go non stop with out heating up.

Wow sounds good but I am to cheap to spring for the 215, will use the cg-15 until it dies.

Bullelkklr, if you are tossing yours let me know if I can buy your seal & teflon tape if it will come off with out tearing? My teflon melted last time & I haven't Cabelas didn't have one instock.

Check amazon / prime

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I will second the vp215. The vp215 has the oil pump and the 210 does not. I currently have the 215 and it does everything I want it to do and more. If you have amazon prime it would be cheaper for you to order it through them. I just bought one from amazon for a buddy and shipping was fast and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Wow sounds good but I am to cheap to spring for the 215, will use the cg-15 until it dies.

Bullelkklr, if you are tossing yours let me know if I can buy your seal & teflon tape if it will come off with out tearing? My teflon melted last time & I haven't Cabelas didn't have one instock.
    I was of the same mind but after using the thing from 2006 to 2014 and it just would not die. Had a small windfall and decided that it was time to step up, am very glad I did. The CG-15 is the best sucker type machine on the market, but the VP215 is flat out awesome. No babysitting, cheap bags, it's quiet......love it. Costco for 999.00

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    I will second the vp215. The vp215 has the oil pump and the 210 does not. I currently have the 215 and it does everything I want it to do and more. If you have amazon prime it would be cheaper for you to order it through them. I just bought one from amazon for a buddy and shipping was fast and cheap.
    Thanks I must have bought the VP210. I don't have it here but thought I had the correct one.
    Anyway good units for sure.

I'm really close to getting the VP215 and waffling between Amazon (I subscribe to Prime and it's $839 right now), or shelling out the $999 for the security of Costco's awesome return policy. From all the raves here, it doesn't sound like I'll be dissatisfied with it.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I'm really close to getting the VP215 and waffling between Amazon (I subscribe to Prime and it's $839 right now), or shelling out the $999 for the security of Costco's awesome return policy. From all the raves here, it doesn't sound like I'll be dissatisfied with it.
    We just went through the exact same decision a few months ago. We opted for the security of Costco for the machine but are buying the bags through amazon. You can get the 4 or 5mil bags at a pretty good price with the free prime shipping.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post

If your plan in on staying in Alaska any length of time, find a way to get a VP215, its night and day different. Once I bought mine I was kicking myself for waiting as long as I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pin sheared inside of the wheel that rotates the pump. I peened it, added some JB weld and put it back together. Seems to work. Hopefully it will make it through salmon and moose season.....

I will still be looking at the chamber type sealers. I would like the ability to do retort canning though if I am going to go through the expense anyway...hate to spend that much and still be wishing for more.

For those wanting to do retort with the 210/215, I researched it a long time ago and if I remember right you can buy a different bar that allows for retort bag sealing.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Alaska Butcher Supply (Anchorage)...http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com

...has all the info you need to do retorts in a VP215. I've had my 215 for over 5 years and has never failed me yet! Hundreds of pounds of fish and game. Had to replace tape, heating wires, and filters...but that was from wear and tear. The folks at ABS have the parts, bags, and experience to DIYS or they can repair. Great folks and helpful......just a satisfied customer

P.S. change the oil every year or sooner!

That is great to know - thanks Cujo.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    For those wanting to do retort with the 210/215, I researched it a long time ago and if I remember right you can buy a different bar that allows for retort bag sealing.
    I don't know about the 215 but the 210 I have with the oilless pump doesn't have enough suction for the retort bags.
    That's what Alaska butcher supply told me at the sportsmans show when I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I don't know about the 215 but the 210 I have with the oilless pump doesn't have enough suction for the retort bags.
    That's what Alaska butcher supply told me at the sportsmans show when I asked.
    I like AK Butchers for my bags and such but they basically told me the 210 was crap and would die in a year and I should be spending $2500 on there machine. Do a little research other places. They may be correct but I would not take there word for it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I bought my 215 from AK Butcher with no issues. The 215 has done an outstanding job. Best Advice I received from this fourm was to roll the bags down when you are inserting the fish, this keeps the bag dry at the sealing point. Didn't have any freezer burn after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast