Thread: Royalex winter storage

Default Royalex winter storage

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a Wenonah Royalex here in the Alaskan interior and I've read there might be some problems with winter storage, i.e. hull cracking. I do not have a heated option for winter storage and would like to know others' experiences with this type hull. Thanks.

seen a lot of canoes that snow load bowed the keel, plus moose could step on it if stored on the ground. Pretty easy to find several trees and run a 2 X 4 across to get canoe off the ground tarp canoe and keep snow load off. UV,s are hard on most plastics so I tarp mine. Dont know about cold weather Royalex issues.

We have a Mad River with wood trim. The wood and plastic expand and contract at different rates. The factory suggests undoing some of the screws if stored in extra cold.

I haven't heard concerns with the other trims.

I've had an Old Town for 30 years built with the equivalent of Royalex. Outside all the time, no issues. It does live under a deck, so minimal snow and sun.

I recently spent a few wonderful hours in an Old Towne canoe in central Maine. When loading, I noticed my buddy had another,much older Rolayex canoe that had major repairs. I asked him what happened.

The canoe was stored upside down leaning against a house. During a nasty series of storms, a big load of snow and ice accumulated on the roof of the house. When it let go the canoe was crushed ...

We did have a great time in the new canoe, however!

snow load from a roof will do a CANOE in all the time no matter who made it , "" WINTER STORAGE """ hang it up [ no step on ] wrap it if you want , do dress up the wood once a year will last a life time mine has [ I am old ] if you don't do all that do keep it out of the sun in storage , the sun is the biggest problem over the years I think , do the average maintenance to the wood work canoes are great SID

Winter storage of Royalex is not a problem from what I have found...though I learned not to store my royalex canoe under the eves of my shed(snow slide almost killed it)..it bent it in half but it popped back...with creases...still works great.

I just completed my 5th year on a very shallow/sharp rock river. I got the moose out, but what beating my boats took. I tie a pack raft to the side of my canoe if I get a moose, and it takes 300 pounds of meat... both boats then draw about 5 inches of water.... both are scraped and gouged from this super low water year(by the 17th... was somewhat high early.

What kind of failures might I expect from this canoe as it ages... I cannot say enough about how this wennona canoe perfomes in these conditions... it can take a rock head on, flex and give, and survive. My PR-49 suffered it's second major failure in two years. I teflon taped it and limped put... but another 6 inch hole.... stop point to stop point. 4 bags of moose went swimming. I recovered them all, and thankfully had a cold dry night at the take out to get the meat back in shape.