Thread: Help With Kasilof Comm. and Set Net Schedules

Default Help With Kasilof Comm. and Set Net Schedules

Hi all,

I am a bit confused as to the scheduling of the Commercial and set net fleet on Kasilof and was wondering if anyone on her could sort it out for me. I thought that they had a mandatory shutdown of the comm. fleet during the week but it seems that they are issuing EO's that conflict with this? About to head down there Friday night through Tuesday (14th) to give it a go and just wondered when would be the best opportunity so were not out there scratching our butts instead of catching...

Thanks!

At this point, the management plan for the Kasilof Optimum Escapement Goal calls for the Terminal Set and Terminal Drift to be implemented. Basically they cork off the river and catch everything they can. If you are there when that happens, you'll basically be just straining water.

Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk

It used to aggravate the hell out of me to check the F&G page and see that the fleet was going to be in port, then drive all the way down there in the middle of the night and find the harbor empty as there was an Emergency Opener (EO), while I was on the road. As to Emergency Opener, I don't know how they came up with that particular title, but it is what it is. Now I try to pick a time I know they are supposed to be in port and just go for it if the numbers, and wind direction seem right and not worry about it as all it was doing was raising my blood pressure. True, when the fleet is out, the fish are intercepted, especially when the fleet is operation right outside the mouth, but if the winds are blowing towards shore and the run numbers are good, you should have a good time and the commercial guys have a right to make a good living if the numbers are there and we don't have the clout to change things anyway. I have also seen it when the set-netters were down for all, or most of the season a few years back and I would bet that hurt. No need getting an ulcer over things you don't have a ****ed bit of control over anyway. The only way things will ever change is to let F&G know your thoughts and ban together. I am not saying roll over and take whatever they throw our way, but don't get that ulcer over something you can't at this time control either.

Pack it in, pack it out
    too, one of out biggest problems are the slops and the uncaring that leave the place looking and smelling like a garbage pit and we will never be taken seriously until we get our act together and police ourselves.

"We have met the enemy and they are us." Pogo

Upper Cook Inlet commercial fishing info #: 907-262-9611
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yep, been there done that and was told that they had done the EO maybe 3 or more hours ago, but it takes me close to 5 hours to drive there from where I am. Just happens sometimes. What I am saying is if the fish are running well, and it looks like the winds will be onshore, go for it and have a good time, nothing in life is guaranteed other than death and taxes, so hope for the best, but enjoy yourself either way. If the fleet is out, it isn't the end of the earth, you have undoubtedly had worse in your life and will have worse in the future most likely. Even a mediocre day is probably better than what you would be doing if you didn't go, just PLEASE bring your garbage back with you off the beach, use a dumpster, or take it back home.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    ... If the fleet is out, it isn't the end of the earth...
    Roger that; the end of the earth is much worse...Besides, the Kasilof is open 24 hours a day, so if you don't mind fishing at night, you can certainly find some fish sneaking past the setnetters and drift fleet.

Ok thanks for the insight guys, even with the EO to allow additional fishing time they had a 16,000+ day so we will just see how it goes. I am not going to shy away from giving it a try just because of additional fishing pressure from the set/drift folks. This will be my first time dipping Kasilof and also first time from a boat so its going to be a learning experience for sure. Will be a nice change from the Kenai shuffle...

Quote Originally Posted by Richallenmck View Post
    ...This will be my first time dipping Kasilof and also first time from a boat...
    Man, you're going to have a blast...How big is your boat?

I'm still kinda confused on this whole EO thing...

Ive been told that it is better to go dip netting during the weekends because "they" tend to cater more towards the weekend warriors and won't allow the commercial guys to cork off the rivers as much. Is this true, or even partially true?

I have taken off Monday through Wednesday in hopes of getting away from the crowds, but maybe I should have just stuck with weekends? Is it generally better to dip during the week or weekends? Oh, and this is in regards to the Kasilof (if that makes a difference). And say they do decide to let the commercial guys and set netters cork off the mouth....how soon in advance can you find this out?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Mark
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I'm still kinda confused on this whole EO thing...

Ive been told that it is better to go dip netting during the weekends because "they" tend to cater more towards the weekend warriors and won't allow the commercial guys to cork off the rivers as much. Is this true, or even partially true?

I have taken off Monday through Wednesday in hopes of getting away from the crowds, but maybe I should have just stuck with weekends? Is it generally better to dip during the week or weekends? Oh, and this is in regards to the Kasilof (if that makes a difference). And say they do decide to let the commercial guys and set netters cork off the mouth....how soon in advance can you find this out?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Mark
    You can call 267-2512 and press option #1 for immediate E.O. pertaining to the commercial fishery.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    You can call 267-2512 and press option #1 for immediate E.O. pertaining to the commercial fishery.
    So I guess it makes no difference Week or Weekend?
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

I guess it depends on your willingness to be armpit to armpit with others. Fortunately, I am retired and I go during the week to avoid the crowds, but even that is no guarantee. As to the commercial guys, with a five hour drive to get there for me, I have lost count of the times I have checked before leaving and they were in port, just to make the drive and find them out fishing. It is just the way things go sometimes. They are usually in port on weekends, but that can change with EOs and if escapement looks good, there will be more of these it seems, and that is logical. Maddening to us sometimes, but the sword cuts both ways in that regard. Most of the people, both fisherman and dipnetters are very cordial, but there is the occasional jerk you find in any group. Best to accept this and not let the peckerneckers get you down. Go there, have a good time, pack it in, pack it out and enjoy yourself. The fleet being out definitely makes a difference, especially if they are just outside the mouth, but if the fish are running, you should do OK, maybe not splendid, but OK.

E.O.#15. KRSHA open 9 pm tonight till 5 am tomorrow morning

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    At this point, the management plan for the Kasilof Optimum Escapement Goal calls for the Terminal Set and Terminal Drift to be implemented. Basically they cork off the river and catch everything they can. If you are there when that happens, you'll basically be just straining water.

Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk
    Actually, the management plan calls for the Terminal area to "rarely, if ever" be used. Many commercial fishermen don't like it either, and would rather a different "tool" was used to control escapement, like fishing in their regular sections.

Managers are trying something new today by fishing Kasilof section at 600' rather than the terminal area.

When the terminal area is used it is a little harder to judge when gillnets will be fishing, but Friday commercial closure windows are pretty solid most of the time. I would bank on those and show up for Fri/Saturday fishing... Or hit up a setnetter and buy some fish from a catcher/seller, leaving lots of time for camping and beer drinking... Ha.

its an 18' G3 with a jet. we had two guys dipping, one picking fish from the nets and gilling them and the fourth running the boat. friday nt (10th) was slow but managed about 40 fish, Saturday (11th) was completely dead with 5 hours only getting us about 12 fish, but sunday (12th) morning we hit over 100+ fish between 8-11 a.m. and finished filling all 4 dance cards. You are right, it was a blast!

Really wanted to dip this year, couldn't get anytime off till this week, is it even worth headed down this late in the game? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...displayResults for a few days and decide for yourself. There still could be a good number of fish coming in, but no other way to tell that I know of. Assuming the com. guys are operating, I probably would not go when they are out, but maybe others could chime in here. I suspect that the major part of the run is through, but that doesn't mean there still could not be good fishing days down there and I would think the crowds would be not so much of a problem now.

Very informative link, thanks a bunch! Well maybe next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk