Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile Black Cod tagging assistance: Lets help the Biologists get more info!

Default Juvenile Black Cod tagging assistance: Lets help the Biologists get more info!

So I was contacted by researchers that do tagging studies for juvenile black cod. They concentrate in SE Alaska near Sitka but they are looking for locations in PWS and South central Alaska where they have a chance at consistently tagging the juvenile black cod.

If you run into any, and would like to help out, please post the location, Date, water & fish depth, size, pictures if you have them and what you caught them on.

I think its always a good idea to try and get as much information as possible. Thanks in advance.

Sonny cove out of Seward (fox island). Troll for silvers with bait on. Lots of them.

I will have to dig up the pictures.

They are very mushy and not worth killing.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Sonny cove out of Seward (fox island). Troll for silvers with bait on. Lots of them.

Ran into some while trolling for silvers off the bluffs east of Cape Res. Only kept one to see what what it's like.

I've swapped messages with them now. Hope they bring lots of tags to Kalsin Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

Interesting. The ones I caught seemed super firm at first but did soften up after being placed on ice. I wonder if there is a difference between areas. They were pretty good eating. I'll be keeping them.

Reports of a bunch by Tonsina Cr in Resurrection Bay last weekend.

Driftwood Bay (Day Harbor) is full of them. Yesterday it was more black cod than silvers.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Day Harbor

Hi- Thanks for the update. My crew and I from Juneau just arrived in Seward to hopefully tag several juvenile black cod. We just spent 3 days in Kachemak. This has been possible thanks to all of your reports. It looks like we have Sunny Cove, Tonsina Creek, Driftwood Bay (Day Harbor), and the bluffs east of Cape Resurrection as promising locations to try. Any further direction would be greatly appreciate, such as: depth and specific location.

Since it was the most recent report, are there any other details for fishing in Driftwood Bay that would help us target these guys better?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Driftwood Bay (Day Harbor) is full of them. Yesterday it was more black cod than silvers.

Sable15-
    This past weekend, schools of these were near the south side of driftwood bay about 100' offshore. There were some on the south side of Fox Island just outside and to the south of Sunny Cove. Depths were around 20 to 30' in both locations. Good luck.

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Cizmo_AK49 View Post
    Sable15-
    This past weekend, schools of these were near the south side of driftwood bay about 100' offshore. There were some on the south side of Fox Island just outside and to the south of Sunny Cove. Depths were around 20 to 30' in both locations. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sable15 View Post
    Since it was the most recent report, are there any other details for fishing in Driftwood Bay that would help us target these guys better?

Thanks again.
    We got into them again on Saturday. Most seemed to be in the bay proper, near the southern shore. We hit most of them about 30' below the surface. 1-200' from the shore, just inside the bay. Chuck was getting 2 at a time on his 2 hook setup.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Thanks everyone. Had success finding juvenile blackcod at Driftwood today. It was a great day to be on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    We got into them again on Saturday. Most seemed to be in the bay proper, near the southern shore. We hit most of them about 30' below the surface. 1-200' from the shore, just inside the bay. Chuck was getting 2 at a time on his 2 hook setup.

Sheesh, we were at Driftwood Bay on Saturday and I thought we were catching Pollock. I can't seem to find a good picture of a juvenile Black Cod on-line. Does anyone have one they could post? Thanks!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Hi- We're fishing one more day in Resurrection and then will return to Juneau where I can post some pictures. However, the link below will take you to our site describing more of the tagging work on sablefish and their movement. Thanks again to everyone for the tips. This couldn't have been possible without these reports! There are rewards for returning tags from recovered tagged sablefish, so keep your eyes open for tags to send in!

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/ABL/MESA/mesa_sa_sable_stp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    Sheesh, we were at Driftwood Bay on Saturday and I thought we were catching Pollock. I can't seem to find a good picture of a juvenile Black Cod on-line. Does anyone have one they could post? Thanks!

Interesting link. Thanks.
    You came to the right forum for help. We're a helpful bunch.
    I'm sure that you come across interesting tid bits in your work. Keep us posted!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Off the Homer Spit

Perfect. Thanks. I also discovered that Black Cod have two dorsal fins, and Pollock have three. Makes identification easy!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Default more sablefish photos

Thanks Kardinal 84 for the photos. Here are a couple more, and one example of a fish with a tag inserted before release. The number of dorsal fins is the best indicator: two on sablefish and three on pollock. I may be biased, but I believe sablefish are a much more attractive fish! Thanks again for the help, and for continued reports. These will all provide guidance in the future as to where we may locate fish, as well help gauge the size/success of certain year classes. It looks like we will be following up on some reports of fish off of Kodiak at the end of the month, so any guidance will be appreciated.

Perfect. Thanks. I also discovered that Black Cod have two dorsal fins, and Pollock have three. Makes identification easy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I caught a load of these in driftwood and sunny cove. Aggravating to try and fish for silvers and not be able to get through the swarm of these guys. Had I only known. I kept 4 that fatally swallowed the hook. They are in the smoker right now. Hope they turn out good!

Default we're heading to Kodiak to tag some sablefish

Thanks again for all of the contributions. Looks like we're heading to Kodiak on 8/25-26 to hopefully tag some juvenile sablefish. There have already been several contributions to help guide us location wise, but anything more recent would certainly be appreciated. It sounds like we should just follow the silvers...or the bait! Whichever way you look at it! That proved key out of Seward. Thanks everyone.

There were baby sablefish off the pilings at lands end today in Homer.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast