Thread: Sled? moose

Default Sled? moose

Hey! We are gearing up for a moose hunt this September and would like some reviews/advice on packing out the heavy parts. Been concidering bringing along this sled http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Deer-Sl...Z5FAMQESDPN652

Does anyone have experience using a sled to drag moose quarters?

It depends on the terrain you are hunting in. Sleds like that can work well in some situations, but are worse than useless in others. If you are in marshy areas or otherwise fairly open areas, then I could see some benefit at times. If you are in areas with lots of alders and tight vegetation, maybe not. On the other hand, they are light, so if you have the space, it isn't necessarily a bad thing to have on hand just in case.

Thanks for the info anchskier

If you're hunting hilly areas don't use it. It will run you over going down hill and pull you down if you try side hilling.

marcuspoff, I tried one like that on a moose/caribou hunt. We didn't get a moose that trip but did get caribou. I had the same thought but the amount of vegetation, in my case low growing blueberry bushes, made the sled almost useless. It was easier to carry in a backpack. I did get a moose on my second moose/caribou trip and the 1.2 miles from camp was so rough that the sled wouldn't have done any good either. But like anchskier said, they are light and don't take up much space so take one just in case.

You might look in to these sleds instead. They make some simple designs that fit nicely in aircraft and are better suited for Alaska's conditions.

http://www.northernsledworks.com/

The Magnum deer sled you linked wont do you well here because there is no good way to rig a pulk system, which is critical for hilly areas to keep the sled from running you over or flipping out of control while side hilling.

Just a thought. If you're unfamiliar with a pulk sled concept (PVC poles crossed behind you and attached to sled), here's a forum link to a video that shows what they look like.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-R-amp-D/page2

But in the big picture, sometimes the terrain will be ideal for a sled, other times not so much. If given the option to pack a moose out or drag it back to camp...i would use a sled. If you don't have a sled with you, you wont have the option, right?
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by marcuspoff View Post
    Hey! We are gearing up for a moose hunt this September and would like some reviews/advice on packing out the heavy parts.
    Just ask anybody.....you ain't lived till you've humped out a moose on your back....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have one we used them in Iraq for other purposes we called them Skedco. I have used the one I have several times for hauling moose out to the river. I never leave home without mine for a hunt, they will slide across the timber, rocks, grass and everything else once you strap you hind quarter in it. I am 5.5 and have hauled out more than once the hind quarters by myself and was not half dead once I got to the river. The one I have is much heartier than the store bought kind but I am sure that will work just fine for you. You can't beat the price of that one either.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I have one we used them in Iraq for other purposes we called them Skedco. I have used the one I have several times for hauling moose out to the river. I never leave home without mine for a hunt, they will slide across the timber, rocks, grass and everything else once you strap you hind quarter in it. I am 5.5 and have hauled out more than once the hind quarters by myself and was not half dead once I got to the river. The one I have is much heartier than the store bought kind but I am sure that will work just fine for you. You can't beat the price of that one either.
    How about a picture and who is the manufacturer of yours?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    How about a picture and who is the manufacturer of yours?
    Sounds like a Skedco Sked. http://skedco.com/

Pretty pricey but presumably you get some durability.

tboehm
    I 'm out of the AO right now or I would be glad to get a picture for you. I am sure they are a bit pricey but will last along time for that use. You can get the civilian model that is much cheaper just not as heavy duty.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

We used a kiddie snow sled one year. Tried to drag out a quarter and it was way more work. It came in really handy unloading the boats, hauling fire wood and dragging fuel barrels around though. Worth having if you have the space.