Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GET READY... could be a banner Kenai sockeye year

Default GET READY... could be a banner Kenai sockeye year

Start stockpiling your Nautilus Circle leaders if you haven't begun tying yet. This from the commercial EO ...

In the Kenai River, the estimated cumulative passage of sockeye salmon through Tuesday, July 7,was approximately 59,000 fish, which is the fifth highest passage measured in the Kenai River through this date and the second highest estimate in the last 10 years (2006
    –2015).

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/dcfnewsrelease/567396665.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I dunno, we'll see. Last year 109,000 had come through by this time but it turned out to be a moderate year as far as total numbers and shifted late at that. The only day where over 100,000 fish came through didn't happen until August 5th. I'll join you in optimism though, since I'm going down this weekend through Wednesday. C'mon early reds!
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Where exactly would I go to hook into this big run? I don't have any experience with the Kenai, and some vague pointers as to where to go would be much obliged. (something like the Moose River???)

Well it could have been a banner year except they opened the river to king fishing…..which liberalizes the comm fleet a bit more and we all know what that means…….less fish in the water on days the fleet is fishing. The true test will be how fishing is with the river choked off.

What days are the commercial boats in the water? I seem to recall Mondays and Thursdays last year, it that the same this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    What days are the commercial boats in the water? I seem to recall Mondays and Thursdays last year, it that the same this year?
    It changes all the time due to EO. Call 262-9611 for current info.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

[QUOTE=highestview;1490611]I dunno, we'll see.

Yeah....was gonna say I've heard that before as well.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Seen a few sockeye splashing the last few days on the lower Kenai & the few folks fishing for them seem to be doing "okay".

Kenai king sport fishery was restricted to no bait which in turn limits the ESSN to no more than 36 hours a week. They where out today so stands to reason tomorrow will be on the slower side for both sockeye & kings. But, sockeye are around in catchable numbers now.

Doc
    am NOT looking for a good run. Bristol's run is in the tank and the ADN had the DNR say it will be half what it was predicted at. The OTI in Cook Inlet is in the SINGLE DIGITS! None of that bodes well for a good run.

And yet Kasilof is going like gangbusters with record escapement to date.

As far as the MASSIVE push on the front end, it never really happened on the Kenai last year... just a steady inflow of fish (30K plus per day) basically from July 17 thru the first 11 days in August.

So far, nothing in the coming week's weather forecast to help move fish to the beach en masse.

Fri
    Variable wind less than 10 kt becoming SW 10 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft. Patchy morning fog.

Fri Night
    SW wind 10 kt. Seas 3 ft.

Sat And Sat Night
    S wind 10 kt. Seas 3 ft.

Sun
    Variable wind less than 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.

Mon
    NE wind 10 kt. Seas 3 ft.

Tue
    S wind 10 kt. Seas 3 ft.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Fnp, seems to be a windyless summer. I dont mean to be pessimistic but im worried about the kenai run. Kodiak was slow, driftnetters havent found much and index has been real low. Last year there was no big slug but solid numbers every day. Drifters did have a few decent fish days last year and havent heard of one yet this year. Why is kasilof having a record run and the kenai looking like it may come in closer to 2 million than 3-4 million? Its anybodys guess and a reason to never put too much stock in preseason forecasts.

Doc
    The Kasilof is not really all that good. While not bad its at 205K fish, Last year was 201K at this time and the year before it was 185K on this date. good but nothing off the charts by any means. The real concern i have is the OTI being in the single digits. That is a HUGE red flag. Time will tell Doc but right now i am very concerned but then again I dont know much!

Where can someone find the OTI data? I was spoiled the last few years getting it from AOJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner21 View Post
    Where can someone find the OTI data? I was spoiled the last few years getting it from AOJ
    Too late to edit but I think I found what I'm looking for

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...almon#research

Is there any merit to the rumor I heard from some commercial drifters, that the warmer water temps this year have the sockeye running deeper than the nets can fish?

This could also explain the OTF numbers being so low

I heard that too Sockeye Charlie. Not sure if its true or not but he drifters have been doing very very poorly as of late. Could that be that the fish are going under the nets? could be for all i know but time will tell. They could be deep or they just are not there!

I just got off the lower River and didn't see one jumper from big eddy to the old king counter. Red fishing looked to be very slow and I would expect that the dippers are struggling today. Yesterday's commercial opening will slow things down a bit, but it should pick up in a few days. Hopefully their running deep because the otf numbers are extremely low for the 10th of July.

Jul-08 2015-71,896 2014-126,702 2013-50,120 2012-42,974

OTF numbers may look terrible far as fish being counted looks okay so far. Maybe they really are swimming deeper than normal.

22,716 counted yesterday for a season total of 94k

I'm guessing it will be slow-ish to ok this weekend and that's fine by me. It might spread out the crowds a little bit. The way the calendar falls, there's 3 full weekends and another work week for people to fish. Slow and steady wins the race. I'll give a report once I get back on Wednesday night.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast