Thread: favorite downrigger rod

Default favorite downrigger rod

Tough week on the boat and busted two salmon rods. I've used the Ugly Stick lite rods before and liked them. Looking for something under $150. I like the 8 to 9 foot light action rods. Favorites out there?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have been using Lamiglas Classic Glass downrigger rods for 3 seasons now. Around $90. The quality appears to be good; I have six rods that get used pretty hard, and no failures/flaws yet.

Big_E

Don't laugh but I picked up several Cabela's Whuppin Sticks, WSCMH90-2 MH 14-30 (Their store brand ugly stick knock off) on sale for $18. I mounted a Shimano Charter Special on them and was pleasantly surprised. I landed a decent ling, a 40 lb halibut and a couple of silvers and they seemed OK, fairly soft tip but some backbone. On my boat I have gone through enough broken rods that I hate to spend a lot of money. I also use a couple of 8' Cabela's DepthMaster® Tournament Innerflow Rods in the MH 12-20 lb line category. I have fished them for 6 years using in-expensive Penn 209's and they have landed a bunch of fish. I like that there are no guides to break. Again these are inexpensive boat rods in the $65 range. Since that is all I have I guess they are my favorites. That is not to say that having a set of custom made Seekers on the boat would not make me smile. Ken

In that range check out the Shimano Talora. Paired with a Shimano Takota reel makes for a sweet rigger rod.

I was using the Lamiglas CG90DR's for a couple of seasons, good rods, but the cork handles don't hold up This season I'm running Okuma Coldwater 8'6" 12-25lb rods. So far they hold up great, probably 3-400hours on them so far, have had no issues with kings to 40lbs and halibut up to 50ish.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Get a few Ugly Stik down rigger rods. You will love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gmork View Post
    In that range check out the Shimano Talora. Paired with a Shimano Takota reel makes for a sweet rigger rod.
    +1. I have really enjoyed these rods.

The pescaro's are great for the money, tough glas rods, no frills but they last a long time.

Skip the charter specials, better reels to be had for not much more money, avet has several that are bombproof and much much much (much) smoother drags and operation. Charter specials come wtih junk drags that need switched out for carbonfiber anyway, adding up to 30 bucks in materials and labor to what was an already pricey enough reel that sounds like a coffee grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    I have been using Lamiglas Classic Glass downrigger rods for 3 seasons now. Around $90. The quality appears to be good; I have six rods that get used pretty hard, and no failures/flaws yet.
    That's what I'm using too-they take a beating and keep on fishing-not the fanciest rigs but serviceable couldn't be Happier.

Plus the reel seats are of a size to fit anything you want to put on them not always the case these days.

I had really good luck with the Berkley im7 rods. I preferred the way they felt over the more expensive Loomis rods. I guided using these for at least ten years and never broke one although I would change them out every few years. Paired with an abu garcia 6500 c4 and it's a bullet proof setup.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Anything with a gimbal butt for fishing with Cannon down riggers (Scotties don't have the crossbar in the rod holder). I literally have an armload of Penn Power Sticks 8 1/2'ers 3880 and 3886s. They are in the $60 range. I like two piece rods for storage.

Sobie2

Out of curiosity I recently picked up a couple of Shimano's British Columbia style mooching rods with matching reels. They're a real hoot to use for mooching, but I read somewhere about using them with downriggers too, so I tried it.

If you like lots of flex in your mooching rods, these are definitely worth a look, even if they're 10.5' long. You can literally reel the rod tip down into the water, they'll flex so far. Yet they have very good backbone. The matching reels are more like giant fly reels in the way they work, but that's not a problem for me.

Purely a novelty rod, but a really fun setup that won't break the bank.

Another vote for the Berkley Im7 or 8's. In an 8'6" medium or med/heavy they make for a great rigger rod. I've been using them for several years now and love them. Soft enough tip to put a nice arc in them to preload them. And a strong enough backbone to handle a decent fish. Running Shimano 200's on them. Pretty tough to beat that combo and they don't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Out of curiosity I recently picked up a couple of Shimano's British Columbia style mooching rods with matching reels. They're a real hoot to use for mooching, but I read somewhere about using them with downriggers too, so I tried it.

If you like lots of flex in your mooching rods, these are definitely worth a look, even if they're 10.5' long. You can literally reel the rod tip down into the water, they'll flex so far. Yet they have very good backbone. The matching reels are more like giant fly reels in the way they work, but that's not a problem for me.

Purely a novelty rod, but a really fun setup that won't break the bank.
    You would love when I'm running my 12' noodles rods, load them with 6lb test.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Oh yeah....

When Roy E bounced through the rocks and kelp with me, or me with him, he always used a 13' custom he had built for trolling. Strictly hand held, 90 degrees to the boat, with a 4oz sliding sinker and a herring. When he got that little light tap from a king, he'd swing the rod straight back into the wake so the bait would stop and flutter down a little. By the time the line came back up tight again, he had his king. Absolutely the most deadly combo for kings I've ever seen.

When we mooched, he always used that same rod, giving me grief the whole time about the "dinky" Loomis 1265 (also 10.5') that I use.