Thread: Fossils

Default Fossils

IM looking for American Lion bones and skull plus shortfaced bear found in caves and gold mines
    if anyone can find those I pay well Need pictures and will provide phone and email once we connect

alan stout

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by alanstout View Post
    IM looking for American Lion bones and skull plus shortfaced bear found in caves and gold mines
    if anyone can find those I pay well Need pictures and will provide phone and email once we connect

alan stout
    Very funny. Hey, while you are at it, I am looking for a leprechaun with a pot of gold, oh and a pet unicorn would be nice also. Do you realize how hard it is to find what you are asking for?

Cost. A cave bear skull goes for 4-6 grand. That's why I posted the links.

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Cost. A cave bear skull goes for 4-6 grand. That's why I posted the links.
    Man, I personally would be a little skeptical of the authenticity of skulls and bones sold over a website. But you never know. Maybe you're right. I guess I was thinking this guy was looking for somebody who actually found these artifacts. I believe by law the federal government can confiscate any bones or fossils like that up here. I know people find mammoth and mastodon tusks and teeth occasionally, but I remember reading somewhere that if you find anything with scientific or archaeological significance or value you are required to turn them in.

Once I was at a lodge out in the Alaska Range and a guy showed me a cache of some amazing artifacts that an old famous guide had stored. He actually had a fossilized Short-faced bear skull. It was pretty amazing. The thing was enormous. You could probably fit a black bear skull in it's mouth. It was an amazing find. I'm sure it wasn't for sale. I know if I was lucky enough to find an American Lion, Saber-toothed tiger, Dire wolf, Short-faced bear or any other ice age mammal I sure as heck wouldn't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I believe by law the federal government can confiscate any bones or fossils like that up here.
    Not true, to my knowledge. But if found on federally managed public lands, such as BLM, FWS, NPS...it is NOT legal to collect them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not true, to my knowledge. But if found on federally managed public lands, such as BLM, FWS, NPS...it is NOT legal to collect them.
    Okay, correction. I'm not sure about STATE public lands, but if anyone collects any ARTIFACTS or VERTEBRATE fossils on FEDERAL public lands, they will be met with some pretty serious charges and fines. Here is an example of what happened to a well known river guide and author in AK after she knowingly allowed some of her clients collect some mammoth tusks while floating a river through federally owned public lands.

http://www.adn.com/article/alaska-ri...moving-fossils

I'd be curious to see in writing what the law states about state public land. Since most of our state is public land and probably most fossil hunting takes place on public land. I seem to recall reading somewhere about someone finding a Hadrosaur or Theropod dinosaur and they had to turn their fossils in. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it in writing. I know it would be hard for me to turn something like that in. It would be awful tempting to just keep my mouth shut and just hide it. It kind of crosses an ethical line to me to have the federal government just take something away by force, but at the same time I try to obey the law to the best of my ability. It's kind of like the gun control debate. If the government suddenly outlawed all firearms overnight, how many people do you think would really just bend over backwards and let the government take their guns? I wouldn't want to break the law but at some point you have to stick to your guns and say no.

Collecting is always a catch 22. Private land can even be tough. You may have permission to collect, but the owners now want Christy's prices once you do. I have had that happen more then once. I just put the stuff back where I found it. Look at what happened with sue the t-rex.

Edwin Hubble

AS 41.35.020. Title to Historic, Prehistoric, and Archeological Resources;
    Local Display.
    (a) The state reserves to itself title to all historic, prehistoric, and archeological resources situated on land
    owned or controlled by the state, including tideland and submerged land, and reserves to itself the
    exclusive right of field archeology on state-owned or controlled land. However, nothing in AS 41.35.010
    - 41.35.240 diminishes the cultural rights and responsibilities of persons of aboriginal descent or infringes
    upon their right of possession and use of those resources that may be considered of historic, prehistoric, or
    archeological value.
    (b) Although title to historic, prehistoric, and archeological resources is in the state, local cultural groups
    may obtain from the state, or retain, for study or display, artifacts and other items of these resources from
    their respective cultures or areas if the commission created in AS 41.35.300 finds that
    (1) the group has a durable building with weatherproof and fireproof construction and humidity
    control and other factors necessary to serve as a museum which will assure safe preservation of
    the items,
    (2) the item sought to be obtained is not one for which there is an undue risk of damage during
    transportation, and
    (3) the item sought to be obtained or retained is not one requiring special treatment or care
    beyond the ability or means of the group requesting it. A group retaining such an item or
    obtaining one from the state shall house it in the museum building and shall make every
    reasonable effort to assure its safe preservation. If the commission finds that a local cultural group
    is not properly taking care of an item the group shall return it to the department.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

As a general rule the state has followed the feds lead on this, as far as enforcement. no one will say any thing if you collect plant and invertebrate fossils, but you could get in trouble for collecting vertebrate fossils. In addition, you are not allowed to sell any of them.
    On private land you have to be careful, because unless you own the mineral right you should probably follow the general guidelines.
    It is my, unprofessional, understanding if you own mineral rights that would include any fossils present.