Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai opener predictions

Default Kenai opener predictions

Has anyone seen the OTI numbers for the Kenai? With the opener coming up, I was wondering if the fish were coming in early this year.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Has anyone seen the OTI numbers for the Kenai? With the opener coming up, I was wondering if the fish were coming in early this year.
    So far, only the Anchor Point OTF is being reported. Numbers have not been significant.

Default No North Boats this year

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    So far, only the Anchor Point OTF is being reported. Numbers have not been significant.
    There will not be a north boat OTF this year. That was mentioned on the commercial fishing information message line last week. Only Anchor Point. Highest single day number I've heard so far was 16.

By which you mean 16,000?

OTF is at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...almon#research Click on the Research tab..

Sent from my S50 using Tapatalk

What are the units? Are we really talking about 16 fish counted or 16,000?

That is 16. The boat runs a timed transit along predetermined coordinates.

Significant numbers for the Anchor Point OTF are anything over 100.

Right, I remember that now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJack View Post
    What are the units? Are we really talking about 16 fish counted or 16,000?
    It's a relative index number. Think of it as some random guy who is dip netting downstream from where you are at. When he gets 16 fish, that means you probably won't get that many fish either. But if he gets over 100, get your net in the water because here they come.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJack View Post
    By which you mean 16,000?
    No, by which I mean 16.

Here are the YTD OTF Numbers

July 1 -- 1
    July 2 -- 5
    July 3 -- 10
    July 4 -- 16
    July 5 -- 3
    July 6 -- 16
    July 7 -- 10
    July 8 -- 9

OTF is a new operator this year, and fish are reported to be swimming deep, below gillnets. I wouldn't put too much stock in OTF index for dipping. There are fish swimming up the river, just gotta be there when they show.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    OTF is a new operator this year, and fish are reported to be swimming deep, below gillnets. I wouldn't put too much stock in OTF index for dipping. There are fish swimming up the river, just gotta be there when they show.
    Not saying you are wrong, but if that were truly the case, logic would suggest that the sonar would be picking them up.

sonar on the boat?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with someone at noon today while looking over the bluff above the north beach at lunch today. He also mentioned the fish swimming deeper, below the nets, which he attributed to the sunny weather driving the fish deeper.

I will update the OTF numbers in my post #11 if the system will allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    sonar on the boat?
    Nope. Sonar in the river. As of yesterday (most recent data) the daily escapement is only 24,000-25,000 fish. Doesn't sound like a lot of fish to me. Certainly normal numbers, but doesn't sound like they are peaking yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Nope. Sonar in the river. As of yesterday (most recent data) the daily escapement is only 24,000-25,000 fish. Doesn't sound like a lot of fish to me. Certainly normal numbers, but doesn't sound like they are peaking yet.
    Here's a static image comparing current escapement with the average cumulative escapement '83-'14.

The surge is yet to come...

Anybody know why yesterday's OTF index has not been released yet? Was the boat experiencing mechanical or weather issues?

Anybody know why yesterday's OTF index has not been released yet? Was the boat experiencing mechanical or weather issues?
    Sometimes it doesn't get updated on the website for a day or 2.

The OTF for July 14 was 39. It is on the rise.

No, the lack of funds this year a boat that has never gillnetted is doing the test fishing. They only have one net and it looks like a truck has been driving through it. No one can count on the test boat numbers this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast