Thread: Floating the Matanuska Chickaloon - Palmer

Default Floating the Matanuska Chickaloon - Palmer

I drew the DM408 tag this year and am planning on floating the river to harvest my cow. Anyone with any experience with this portion of the river that would like to lend some advice would be appreciated. I am Looking for good spots to put in as well as river sections to avoid. This will be my first time floating this river as well as float hunting in Alaska so i am willing to listen to all advice.

Pretty easy to do a pre-season float/scout. Of course asking for Internet advice is even easier.

Other than choosing a shallow braid and possibly needing to drag your raft, the major hazards are sweepers/strainers and the waves/holes at Nova Bend. Nova Bend is an easy scout from the road at approximately mp 74. http://youtu.be/oNs0DC6uQDQ

Thank You, I am heading up to Eureka this weekend to ride in the fireweed bike race. I plan on spending time both directions pulling off and scouting the river.

If you put-in at Chickaloon river watch out for the 1st creek on the left once you hit the Mat. I think it is Carbon creek. There is a shelf that comes out that has been known to flip a boat or two at this water level. Check it out from the road 1/4-1/2 mile before the put-in. I think you can avoid Nova Bend by a channel just before it to the left. Other than that it is a fun river.

I'd be really tempted to spend some time between Nova Bend and Kings river looking for moose but it wont be easy.