Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai River Kings?

Default Kenai River Kings?

Well, fishing is open and I've yet to see a report on here. I'm betting it's slow, but... how's about an update from those who have been out there?

id like to know as well. Im fishing with Jim Rusk next weekend and im hoping for a great day!

I live in Soldotna and haven't heard anything.
    That being said with the state of our king fisheries I am declining to fish the Kenai kings until things improve. That's just my personal opinion.
    Good luck with your trip.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The Anchor has had a good return this year, we can only hope the same for the Kenai

I just hope they double the limit, and open it up to bait and multiple hooks real soon.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I live in Soldotna and haven't heard anything.
    That being said with the state of our king fisheries I am declining to fish the Kenai kings until things improve. That's just my personal opinion.
    Good luck with your trip.
    Yep......I'd like a nice fat chromer as much as the next guy. But my conscience won't let me go after one given the state the runs have been for far too long.

Sure wish people would just leave them alone till they actually figure out what the hell is goin on......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    The Anchor has had a good return this year, we can only hope the same for the Kenai
    Oh really?......is it like it was 30, or maybe even 20 years ago? Or are they calling it a "good return" according to "today's" standards...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Well, fishing is open and I've yet to see a report on here. I'm betting it's slow, but... how's about an update from those who have been out there?
    I don't think anyone wants to admit to king fishing this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh really?......is it like it was 30, or maybe even 20 years ago? Or are they calling it a "good return" according to "today's" standards...???
    Well going off of the fish and game records. Which only go back to 2001 the run on the anchor this year is up to par with some of the better runs it has seen and is currently pushing the upper escapement number for the year. So I would say it has been a decent run, as has been the fishing.

Yep......I'd like a nice fat chromer as much as the next guy. But my conscience won't let me go after one given the state the runs have been for far too long.

Sure wish people would just leave them alone till they actually figure out what the hell is goin on......
    I'm with you 4mer! Until I see respectable numbers, I'm giving the Kenai Kings a break. I know two friends who fished so far and they have had one take down in two trips. I hope those fishing seriously think about releasing anything but jacks. We are only a couple of years into the new sonar and there are serious guestions about previous escapement numbers. Let's give it a year or two more with minimal,harvest and see what happens. In the mean time, there are plenty of feeder kings available , and lots of reds and silvers on the way for those that need to eat salmon.

Water on the lower Kenai is very high and it is still coming up. So, lots of stuff floating down to keep an eye out for (logs, trees, etc). Water clarity is on the so so side of things. You can see your prop but that's about all. Fishing is fair to slow depending on who you ask. Most effort is taking place around the tidal area.

ADFG is reporting 1674 kings past the Didson so far with an in river harvest of around 187 with the east side set nets harvest of 703 kings. I've been trying to talk those on my boat to C&R anything over 25 pounds but that's just my opinion on it.

I mean good. as in comparasion to the last few years. Maybe the efforts of reducing fishing is making a slight difference. By no means is it back

Im sure the folks who have fished those kings for years upon years probably all feel the same way. Give the kings a break sure I'm all for it. But before you come to the conclusion that my trip is the problem with the small run just know these few simple fact; 1) I've never harvested a king from the kenai, nor has my father. 2) With my dad's health and age, we made a goal, that goal is to fish together, and hopefully catch a king out of every river together before we don't have time with one another, and 3) We C&R.
    Not everybody is part of the problem. But we can help in the form of releasing.

With all the feeders available out of Homer, I'd have a hard time justifying a river king from the Kenai for table fare.....not to mention hook up rates and crowds.

I miss the action of fishing the Nushagak from my time in Bristol Bay, but that 12 lb feeder I took home last weekend from the salt sure was tastier on the grill.

So the numbers from yesturday the commercial nets got 685 kings..... I don't even have words for this.

I hate to keep beating the dead horse but the sporties can't use bait and single hook only while these morons are allowed to net them.

👌

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    So the numbers from yesturday the commercial nets got 685 kings..... I don't even have words for this.
    Absolutely disgusting!! What in the hell is wrong with ADFG????

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Absolutely disgusting!! What in the hell is wrong with ADFG????
    So I just tried to go look at the late run kings count from yesterday so I could see what the count could have been with that extra 650 the nets got and the site is down. Now I'm probably totally wrong but all other counts are listen but not the kings late run. They probably saw how few kings hit the sonar and are embarrassed to post the numbers. What's going to happen next? Going to be real interesting the next couple weeks. Bill walker where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    I hate to keep beating the dead horse but the sporties can't use bait and single hook only while these morons are allowed to net them.

Any links to prove those numbers are real? How many were jacks and how many were larger spawners?
    Were all of those Kenai kings or where there a few from the Kasilof,Anchor river and other south central waterways that may or may not be in trouble this year?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Any links to prove those numbers are real? How many were jacks and how many were larger spawners?
    Were all of those Kenai kings or where there a few from the Kasilof,Anchor river and other south central waterways that may or may not be in trouble this year?
    Yes not all of them are from the kenai but I bet a good majority of them are. Regardless 650 in a 12 hour period is not something to take lightly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast