Thread: Inflatable Raft

Default Inflatable Raft

Looking to buy a small inflatable raft and motor that I can wrestle in and out of my Cessna 185 Floatplane. Recommendations on something light and reasonably priced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many people do you intend on putting in the raft and what will you be using it for? Multi-day hunting and fishing? Just ferrying people across a lake or river? Simple day trips? Whitewater with the option for a paddle crew?

The options vary from a packraft to an 18' cataraft depending on your needs. We'll need more information. For "reasonably priced" I'd look at Craigslist and buy used once you figure out exactly what your needs are.

Thanks. No more than 3 people. Looking to get from the airplane to the mouth of a couple of Rivers and bank fish. I will need a unit that can accommodate a small outboard. I must be able to wrestle the raft I and out of the plane by myself.

I'd look into a sport boat type inflatable (Zodiac style) vs. a raft for that application. I would imagine that boat with built-in transom might be lighter, or at least simpler, than a raft/frame/transom combination. If you are in or near Anchorage drop into Alaska Raft & Kayak or Marita Sea & Ski and check out what they offer. Once you decide what you need you can decide to buy new or used off of Craigslist.

Default Alaska Series 270TDS Tender makes a great light weight airplane boat.

I have quite a few customers that use the 270TDS Alaska Series Tender as a light weight airplane boat.
    http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm
    The 270TDS is only 50 pounds and will take up to a 5Hp long shaft outboard. The tender style boat has a removable motor mount so it rolls up smaller and also provides more inside space than the same lengthJL220Dingy.jpg240TDS White 2007 Cutt bottom1.jpg sport boat style inflatable with the heavy fixed transoms.

There you go.....and supporting a local shop.

That is an awesome combo as well, have one and it works great as a tender on our boat. I would think it would work perfectly for what you want.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

That's the ticket. Thanks

You might consider a small outboard with internal gas tank, rather than a separate tank to carry, fly with, set up, etc. An external tank would be a PIA unless you need the extra HP those models offer. Seems I saw 3-4 hp with internal tanks, after that all were externals. The Suzuki has some nice ones. Maybe Tihatsu.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have a 3.5 Tohatsu that works good. Still end up with a gas can if you are going very far with it. Internal tank only holds 1/4 gallon and rowing two miles back to the big boat sucks... Don't ask how I know.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I would get external tank on outboard. I had the tohatsu 3.5 and it didn't run that long on internal tank and ended up carrying extra gas anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk