Thread: Inflatable Raft

Default Inflatable Raft

Looking to purchase an Inflatable Raft and Small Motor that I can wrestle in and out of my Cessna 185 Float by myself. Would prefer an inflatable floor to keep the weight down and motor small enough to go into the Float compartment. Fairly large compartments on PK 3500Cs. Recommendations, let's not break the bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if they are still made or not, but see if you can find a Metzeler inflatable. A little 6 hp motor will push one of those fairly well. I've been in a few of them and they are well made and fairly light.

Another option would be one of those fold-a-boats and strap it to the float. I know folks that regularly use both options with their planes.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My last LRB (little rubber boat) was a 10' Quicksilver air floor model with hard transom. It rolled up in one easy bundle and weighed 64#. Since 10hp and 15hp 2-stroke outboards are pretty much identical in size and weight I had a Yamaha 15 for it. Easy enough to get in and out of baggage but no go in floats. I guess you need to decide whether you need enough motor to plane or not and what kind of current you need to deal with. Putt-putting across a lake is different than stepping up the Kvichak. I was never interested in less than 10hp. Now with most motors being heavier 4-strokes that may change the decision process.

I second the motion about Metzeler rigid inflatables. I used them in my guiding business many, many times. I've found them to be quite rugged. In spite of known abuse, they all lasted many years. One man can handle them, though I admit they're a bit heavy to load. The patching kit that comes with each boat works quite well. In fact, I once thought I'd lost one of those Metzelers to a black bear that had punched 21 holes in it. After patching (a lot of it), the craft was as good as new. I still use one of them purchased in the late 1970s. I don't know whether or not they're still available . . .

Good stuff guys, I'll start researching and let you know what I come up with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk