Thread: Weekend/Day Floats?

Default Weekend/Day Floats?

After 10 years away from Alaska, I finally got the Army to send me back to Alaska. I am, however, at Ft. Wainwright, where everything is new to me. I am looking for a couple good weekend or day floats in the area to take my family, which includes 2 young children. I just inherited a 16' raft, and though I am new to rafts, I have experience in drift boats. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate the advice and help. I do plan on regular lazy float on the Chena, and can pull my boat out virtually in my back yard. I do want to venture out and experience new areas, and am willing to drive as far as Talkeetna on a long weekend.

Thanks in Advance!

The Chatanika has some fun stretches from road to road for day trips off the Steese Hwy. Just pick a stretch of road access via bridges or pull outs that cover about 8-15 miles between spots. This will give you a 4-8 hour float. Class I with sweepers and low water in places.

The Gulkana River from Sourdough to the Richardson bridge is about 11 hours float time, or you could start at Poplar Grove and portage your stuff down about 1/2-mile to the river and float to the bridge, which offers about 5 hour float. Easy Class I.

Those are a couple of good floats, IMO. Once you get comfortable with your raft maneuvers more options exist for 2-3 day trips, but most require some experience...especially those off the Parks Hwy.

Good luck

larry

The Gulkana River is the choice for semi-remote easy to float water. We rent lots of rafts to first timers with kids because the river will not hurt you if you make a mistake and there are lots of options and good fishing to boot!

Look us up
    Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome, Thank you for the advise, I am trying to fiond the last few parts needed for the boat, then I am going to start planning a trip.