View Poll Results: Do you carry a sidearm while hunting with your rifle?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

55 48.67%
  • NO

44 38.94%
  • The added weight is not needed

9 7.96%
  • If you can't kill it with a rifle, leave the handgun at home

5 4.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll for Alaska hunters: do you carry a sidearm while hunting with your rifle?

Default Poll for Alaska hunters: do you carry a sidearm while hunting with your rifle?

When you hunt with your rifle, do you also carry a sidearm? I will confess, that I do, and have used a revolver to finish a moose or two that were still alive and close-by on the ground, but could not stand up. Some other times the sidearm has been a .22-caliber pistol I sometimes use to kill a grouse or two on my way to my campsite.

Thanks

Yes. For the same reasons you stated.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nope... if I've got a rifle, I don't carry a handgun.

I'm happy if there's one in camp for grouse or ptarmigan but I don't pack one around. I've got enough stuff to keep up with.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

One firearm is plenty, so for me a side arm is redundant. Along the same line, I only carry one fishing rod when I go to the river.

Depends. Generally when hunting moose, sheep, or caribou, no. When hunting bears or hunting Kodiak for goat/deer, then yes, so not sure which one to select.

If I can't kill it with my handgun I don't want it so I don't carry a rifle
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I always carry a side arm with me. I used to believe I didn't need one until one day I was putting a stalk on a moose through some really thick stuff and I was charged by a bear. Rifle got stuck on safety (no longer hunt with that gun) and there was nothing I could do. Brush was almost to thick to even carry a rifle through. Lucky enough it was just a false charge. Still I don't ever want to be that close to a bear again and not have a side arm. As far as having a 22 for camp. I always take a Henry camp 22. Everything fits in the stock and it is pretty light.

The only time I carry a "BACK-UP" handgun is if I am hunting with a .22 LR or .22 Magnum.

Put me in the sometimes, depends, maybe camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes +1
    Tim

Some times I even have 2 hand guns, one on my hip and a 22 in my pack. While many have reasons for yes/no, my main concern is that while field dressing any game, that my rifle is not close enough to grab if an unwanted 'guest' arrives.
    I would rather have a hand gun and not need it, rather then need one and not have it.

Sometimes +1. Usually it's either a sidearm or pepper spray. Need to add "Sometime" to the poll.
    Sidearm of choice is a smallish .357 Mag with 180 gr. hardcast bullets.

I said "yes" in the poll, but it is not a 100% of the time thing. I frequently have a handgun with me, but not usually strapped on my hip when hunting with a rifle. Often it is in my pack. My intent for the handgun is either as a tool to finish off a wounded animal or, more likely, to have on me when butchering and packing the game meat. When packing multiple loads of meat, I would prefer to not need to carry my rifle back and forth all day. A good chest holster for my handgun frees up my hands/arms for the hike and still provides protection if/when needed, especially when returning to the kill site after taking a load to the boat/camp.

I carry my Redhawk when bow hunting. Always. I often have it in the truck with my pack boards and such when Rifle hunting. If I'm packing meat out, I will leave the rifle in the truck when I grab the pack boards and the Redhawk.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    When you hunt with your rifle, do you also carry a sidearm? I will confess, that I do, and have used a revolver to finish a moose or two that were still alive and close-by on the ground, but could not stand up. Some other times the sidearm has been a .22-caliber pistol I sometimes use to kill a grouse or two on my way to my campsite.

Thanks
    I have found myself wishing it was o.k. to head shoot a down moose when bow hunting. I have had a few that were down, and never going to get back up, but not dead yet. (I've taken 16 bulls with my bow) I can head shoot them with the bow at point blank, right in the forehead, and the result is similar to a finish shot with a hand gun. But the arrow has to hit just right for that to happen.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Only reason for a handgun is to fight your way to your rifle!

Default Poll for Alaska hunters: do you carry a sidearm while hunting with your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Depends. Generally when hunting moose, sheep, or caribou, no. When hunting bears or hunting Kodiak for goat/deer, then yes, so not sure which one to select.
    What he said. I like to have a handgun in my spike shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Only reason for a handgun is to fight your way to your rifle!
    Or to use if the bear swipes the rifle from your hands or attacks you while you are cleaning/butchering game while your rifle is propped ten (or too many) feet away, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Or to use if the bear swipes the rifle from your hands or attacks you while you are cleaning/butchering game while your rifle is propped ten (or too many) feet away, etc. etc.
    While doing up an animal I never have my rifle any further than an arms reach away......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the votes and replies. Please keep them coming.

By the way, here is an example of a rifle malfunction. I don't think that having a sidearm would have helped much since the bear was already dying, but the story still makes me wonder since he could not clear the rifle's chamber:
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1005010648

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast