Thread: Worms in Copper reds?

Default Worms in Copper reds?

Has anyone else notice one in worms in your fish? I notices some in the meat they are round and clear. When disturbed they curl up and seem to be concentrated in the belly meat.

Is this normal? Is it ok to eat after freezing and or smoking/cooking?

Thanks

Default Anisakis?

Do you think it might be an "anisakis"? Did it look like this picture? http://www.lamargaritaseagita.com/im...0721133429.jpe

Also see the CDC pamphlet on the anisakis lifecycle at; http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Anisakiasis.htm

Default Nematodes

from sea lice...Shouldn't be an issue if your meat is cooked thouroughly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematode

Yes, I see such worms. It seems that it happens more to the late salmon runs by July and later. I seldom find any worms (any kind) in early June at The Copper when the water is very cold. By the way, I have never found any worms in Kings.

Freezing the salmon is a good idea, but always cooking it is best. I smoke previously frozen salmon, just in case.

I have noticed worms in the Red from the Copper river, mostly in the belly section. As with all wild meat, make sure you cook it thoroughly. I pick out the worms I see, but I am sure I have also eaten my fair share. Have not noticed they affected the flavor of the meat...maybe even added a little protein. I have seen the same type of worm in some of the halibut meat I have caught. I have never gotten sick from eating any of the salmon or halibut I have eaten, but I am not into eating raw or undercooked meat. Make sure you prepare the meat properly and you should not have any problems.

Cubecove

Salmon meat that is prepared for sushi is flash freezed in a commercial freezer. One that is typically much colder than our handy dandy game freezers in our garages. The commercial freezer kills any worms or parasites and makes it safe for raw human consumption. But I have given salmon to families of island decent and they have opened up the package in front of my eyes and hacked away with a pocket knife only to eat it completely raw.

We noticed worms in most of the bellies in our Copper River reds. Some had more than others, and come to think of it, one red had a softball size clump of worms in the belly compartment. Now that is grose.

worms are common in most fish. When I lived in bethel a guy I knew caught a fresh salmon fillet it right there then threw it on a grill skin side down. and a bunch of little white worms came wiggling up out of the meat.

Default OMG

I'm gonna barf... no more worm talk please; I can't help but read it and want to stay blissfully ignorant and not inspect each of my fish with a magnifying glass *gurk* the bar-b-que thing was the last straw *bleeah*
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Worms, Yes..

I use to smoke many Copper river Reds fresh until a lady from the cooperative extension gave a talk about worms and parisites. Now I freeze the fish prior to smoking. Since I use a cold smoke, the meat never cooks and I'm not sure the hour in the brine kills the little buggers. I have seen lots of worms in halibut but when you dip them in batter and deep fry them they taste just like halibut.

I've never seen worms in reds, but I guess I haven't looked carefully enough.

I have coldsmoked fresh caught fish, but after reading this I'll be freezing it first. That'll have the added benefit of waiting until the weather is cooler before smoking.

I also eat raw salmon on occasion, but only after freezing.

Forgot to mention that most salmon, regardless of location, have worms. I have caught reds in the Kenai, and these as well have had worms. But as I mentioned before, the reds I have caught at the Copper on the first week of June, at least the ones this year, have been very clean. I can only assume that the same holds true for other early caught salmon around Alaska.

I catch them on the opening day at the subsistence area. It's real slow there, so I have to spend lots of time trying to catch a few.

Default Worms in a lot of stuff

There are worms in a lot of fish and other meats. When you buy it in the store they are usually checked really well, but you should see them before they are all cleaned up.

I used to candle cod filets. It's easy to find the worms and pick them out when you have a candling table. I think it would work for skinless salmon filets too.

But like someone said, when you put the sauce on em, and cook em up the worms taste just like salmon.

Does anyone know if eating the worms raw would hurt you? I've probably eaten a lot of worms over the years....
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

As Water Gremlin stated, you have to freeze fish at a MUCH lower temperature than your generic home freezer to kill the parasites. There was an article in the paper a few months ago about that. It stated that the raw fish that restaurants serve (I won't even try to spell the name...sushimi or something) is first frozen this way to kill any parasites. Then it's thawed before being served. Seems like maybe I'd read that the parasites can live inside humans. Worth checking into. Me, I like my fish well cooked, although I'd never thought about parasites not being killed when I smoke my fish.

I used to inspect food for the military and for one 4 year stretch I inspected mostly fish.
    "Worms" are considered parasites and are very common. It has been a long time but I do remember that on some species of fish I was inspecting they were permitted to have two worms per piece of fish. Once they are cooked they usually can not even be seen. Only a concern if you are using the raw fish for sushi and even then if you follow protocol for freezing it you will be safe.
    When I smoke my fish I always give it a higher blast of temperature right at the very end.
    Tennessee

Default Please

SOMEBODY MAKE THIS STOP! I CAN'T KEEP MYSELF FROM READING IT AND IT'S.... *ralph*chuck*burp*barf*
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Haven't seen worms either. Will toss my fish outside next time it hits 20 below.

Some of the worms will hurt you if ingested raw, but I think some only live in fish.