Thread: BOF member Fritz Johnson cited for fishing after closure

Default BOF member Fritz Johnson cited for fishing after closure

Interested in what you all think should be the consequence for this violation, considering who the offender is. And assuming that his admission leads to a guilty finding. Should he be treated any differently than any other fisher? If any other BOF member was similarly cited should they be treated differently. Should a BOF member be held to a higher standard? Is this violation, maybe even a midemeanor just like a traffic ticket as member Johnson is quoted as saying? What say you?

Another question: Should this BOF member get a more severe penalty because of his prior two violations which he said he has received. And finally should the Governor reappoint him next year with these matters on his record?

Have to know more of the details..occasionally gear is in the water after period closing due to uncontrollable circumstance.

Read the article in this mornings ADN. sounds like he thought the closure was 6:30 instead of 6:00.

This has happened in the past and I believe the Board member resigned from the Board. I believe that Board members should be clean of any violations in the recent pass as they do represent the public and are role models whether they like it or not. Relative to punishment they should be treated like everyone else.

Just one more things. Not knowing the closing time is pretty weak. That is one thing a professional fisherman should know, check, and recheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    This has happened in the past and I believe the Board member resigned from the Board. I believe that Board members should be clean of any violations in the recent pass as they do represent the public and are role models whether they like it or not. Relative to punishment they should be treated like everyone else.

Just one more things. Not knowing the closing time is pretty weak. That is one thing a professional fisherman should know, check, and recheck.
    The Governor wants to make additional appointments so would not be surprised if Fritz Johnson is not re appointed. Having one fishing violation is one thing. This is his third and IMO makes it much different. A strict liability violation won't get him booted but there may be pressure to resign;,especially with his track record of violations. Too bad because he is a good man.

If this is a third violation on a gillnet permit the state could pull the permit.

A sporty gave up his seat for logbook violations. Sorry Fritz, but three strikes. You're out.

Here's a question. What about board members who have criminal convictions with equal or greater punishments, but aren't fish and game related? For example, domestic violence?

If this had been the Fairbanks or Talkeetna BOF member, or could you imagine, the recent Chairman that was not reappointed, I suspect we would be hearing from the regulars like smithtb, fun, Hoose, 55, cod etc. why so quiet? Where are you boys on this one? And S, what were you implying with your domestic violence question?

Quote Originally Posted by Questairtoo View Post
    If this had been the Fairbanks or Talkeetna BOF member, or could you imagine, the recent Chairman that was not reappointed, I suspect we would be hearing from the regulars like smithtb, fun, Hoose, 55, cod etc. why so quiet? Where are you boys on this one? And S, what were you implying with your domestic violence question?
    I think he is saying people who represent the public should be models for society. So certain crimes whether fish and game or others should be red flags for appointment to these positions. I tend to agree with that position.

I believe some commercial fisherman are just busy fishing to get into the details here but they operate in a fishery that has numerous opportunities for mistakes. For example, in one season in UCI there may be 30-40 emergency orders which at times can be very confusing, especially on short openers. Sometimes processors send out the wrong information to their fisherman. So the opportunity for a simple human error is a real possibility and therefore the circumstances of the violation are important. Fritz has not had his day in court and until that happens we should not presume his guilt. I know from personal experience that bad information was given out by ADF&G one time to fisherman because the office staff was confused. No citations were forwarded in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I think he is saying people who represent the public should be models for society. So certain crimes whether fish and game or others should be red flags for appointment to these positions. I tend to agree with that position.

I believe some commercial fisherman are just busy fishing to get into the details here but they operate in a fishery that has numerous opportunities for mistakes. For example, in one season in UCI there may be 30-40 emergency orders which at times can be very confusing, especially on short openers. Sometimes processors send out the wrong information to their fisherman. So the opportunity for a simple human error is a real possibility and therefore the circumstances of the violation are important. Fritz has not had his day in court and until that happens we should not presume his guilt. I know from personal experience that bad information was given out by ADF&G one time to fisherman because the office staff was confused. No citations were forwarded in this case.
    I truly hope that is the case with Fritz. My guess is that he simply read the time incorrectly and that he is sick over this. But it IS more than a traffic ticket. I would like to know what his two previous violations were. As for having his day in court he seems to have admitted he was fishing after a closure so his day in court should not take very long. I hope he does not resign.

I would like to know what his two previous violations were.
    Where am I at on this one? The same place I have always been. Not really into digging up dirt on people and their personal lives. I was critical of the last BOF chairman for his one-sided and unethical practices relative to the BOF. Didn't really care about his personal life, or that of other board members. I realize that there must be an ethical and legal standard for members that extends beyond the BOF functions, but am the first to admit that I am not perfect. I know a lot of really good people who have been ticketed.

I do think it's interesting that someone with multiple infractions from the Bay is on the board, yet someone from the KP like Dwight Cramer was considered by some to be unfit for the BOF due to a petty snagging violation years ago. Fritz has been a very decent and fair BOF member IMO.

Now Dan Coffey getting cited for using Kings as shrimp bait? I did make a big deal about that - it's called irony, given his association with Penney and his first King Conservation Alliance.

As for getting a citation - I've got lots of citations, just none for fishing. Plenty of people pucker up when the cops come around - I figure that there are so many rules I am probably always breaking one. If they are hell-bent on writing tickets, get it over with so I can get on about my day. So I don't put a lot of stock in this sort of stuff. Not just talking about fishing. That said, I always try to be responsible and follow the rules... pretty much.

As for pulling nets on time I am very punctual, but have woken up in the night in a cold sweat and grabbed the binos to make sure I didn't forget a net before. It's easy to do, and I'm sure it was an honest mistake by Fritz given the heat he knew this sort of thing would bring.

They love the nail the guys who are making a living. There is a lot of details in any fishery and going on very little sleep makes those details fuzzy. Mistakes aren't a big deal, IMO. Blatant breaking of the laws are. (Fuglog)

I've LOVE to see law enforcement get $500 or $1000 fines for every detail they miss or every piece of paperwork they don't do correctly.