Thread: Yamaha outboard mechanic / aluminum casting found in jet unit

Default Yamaha outboard mechanic / aluminum casting found in jet unit

There I was....rallying my boat, playing in the skinnies, and as luck would have it, hit the shallows and plugged up the jet and the blowhole with gravel. I hobbled the boat to the landing and upon investigation found a piece of aluminum casting floating in the jet unit and a milky oil running down the side. I pulled the dipstick and there was no water on it, oil level was fine. Then this evening I pulled the dipstick and the oil was high. I drained the oil and found twice as much (milky) oil in the crank case as there should have been. Pulled the spark plugs, they were dry. Pulled the jet unit, found no oil on the water pump or the drive shaft. Oil is running down the other side where the suspected piece of casting come from. The piece is about 2 1/2" in diameter, 1/8" thick and 1" wide (see pic). Any ideas on what this piece is or where it came from?

Also, if anyone has a good recommendation for a Yamaha outboard mechanic (other then Deweys) please let me know. The motor is a 2006 Yamaha 150 jet
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know what it is but that does not look good, I think that I can see the $ sign on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    There I was....rallying my boat, playing in the skinnies, and as luck would have it, hit the shallows and plugged up the jet and the blowhole with gravel. I hobbled the boat to the landing and upon investigation found a piece of aluminum casting floating in the jet unit and a milky oil running down the side. I pulled the dipstick and there was no water on it, oil level was fine. Then this evening I pulled the dipstick and the oil was high. I drained the oil and found twice as much (milky) oil in the crank case as there should have been. Pulled the spark plugs, they were dry. Pulled the jet unit, found no oil on the water pump or the drive shaft. Oil is running down the other side where the suspected piece of casting come from. The piece is about 2 1/2" in diameter, 1/8" thick and 1" wide (see pic). Any ideas on what this piece is or where it came from?

Also, if anyone has a good recommendation for a Yamaha outboard mechanic (other then Deweys) please let me know. The motor is a 2006 Yamaha 150 jet
    George @ Anchorage Suzuki has worked on Yamaha's for years. 243-4903
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856