Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retieve Lane in Whittier

Default Retieve Lane in Whittier

Ok, so maybe I don't understand something. Wouldn't be the first time and likely not the last.

I pulled in to the harbor Sunday afternoon to find a commercial boat tied off to the end of the retrieval ramp. Notice I said ramp in the singular not the plural. This on a Sunday after a long holiday weekend; but that's another rant.

My issue was having this large commercial boat tied off and blocking the end of the ramp. Granted, I was able to work my way around and get in front of him but it seemed like a really bad place for the guy to park. Aren't there transient slips available?

My attitude at the ramp is get in/get out. So, when I see a boat unattended and clearly not waiting for a trailer I start feeling grumpy.

Maybe this sort of thing is acceptable and I'm just being a whinny little princess; if so, please educate me.

It's Whittier, have low expections

I've found I enjoy Whittier a whole lot more when I employ the following strategies:

Don't launch on a Saturday or a Holiday.

Don't retrieve on a Sunday or a Holiday.

Pass mile post 79 and head to mile post 0 on the Seward hwy
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Ok, so maybe I don't understand something. Wouldn't be the first time and likely not the last.

I pulled in to the harbor Sunday afternoon to find a commercial boat tied off to the end of the retrieval ramp. Notice I said ramp in the singular not the plural. This on a Sunday after a long holiday weekend; but that's another rant.

My issue was having this large commercial boat tied off and blocking the end of the ramp. Granted, I was able to work my way around and get in front of him but it seemed like a really bad place for the guy to park. Aren't there transient slips available?

My attitude at the ramp is get in/get out. So, when I see a boat unattended and clearly not waiting for a trailer I start feeling grumpy.

Maybe this sort of thing is acceptable and I'm just being a whinny little princess; if so, please educate me.
    Probably was the city managers brother in law.........................
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Ya didnt you know they own everything weather it be the ramp or even all the fish? I found this weird to but I have to leave the common sense and ethics on the other side of the tunnel. I agree with Paul, never come in on a Sunday or leave on holidays and friday's. All is perfect the rest of the days

A bit of perspective - my family has commercially fished out of Whittier since the early 70s. Until the road went in (and for a while thereafter), that was a loading ramp, not a retrieval lane. I know, times change, but there are still a significant number of commercial vessels that work the sound and when loading a lot of gear, sometimes the ramp may be ideal. I don't know the situation or the vessel in this case, but for what it's worth, the whole ideal of a retrieval lane is still fairly new for those whose living has been tied to the Sound for 40-50 years or more.

If the upper tier whidiots would have thought a bit and used their heads they should have made a loading stall or two right by the bulkhead with a crane when they added all the new stalls then the gillnetters could of nosed in there and lifted bags of gear on/off the boats easily and not tied up the ramp. All the whidiots think about is how to squeeeze the last penny out of everything and everybody that uses the harbor and never anything to make it more user/customer friendly. They have ONE unloading crane and they want 46 bucks a hour(plus tax) to use the POS and you have to hunt somebody from the harbormasters to turn it on so if you need it early or late you are SOL. Cordova has 3 cranes and they are all FREE and available for use 24 hours a day/ always on and also 2 boat ramp also free !! That place will never "get it".

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

So you had one bad experience. Just think of all the bad experiences that the commercial guys have deal with at the docks just trying to go to work. On ave, the weekend warriors are the most I'll prepared boaters at the dock. And yes we have financial ivestment in those so called fish.

Love it when lazy otter parks their boat on the dock.LOVE IT!!!!
    Really helps to get boats in and out when he's parked in the launch lane this past Thurs at 8:30am, then its parked again in the retrieve lane at 5:30 pm on Friday.
    Parked mine you, no captain around, busy as heck in the marina.
    Guess its his dock and apparently kodiak kids and us rec guys need to deal with it. No kodiak kid, its not one bad experience, its frustrating pretty much all the time.

Bk

You should try being a commercial guy. There are more Bottle necks due to I'll prepared sporty guys than a commercial operator.

What it boiled down to is a area being used by too many people at once, with no loading dock. Just need to relax a bit.

Totally relaxed, never in a hurry, always willing to help others, not a problem.
    Don't understand why this water taxi doesnt rent a slip and use it like all the others charters.

Its a launch and retrieval site for boats, not a parking spot or loading zone for tourists. Ever watch them block the ramp for 30 mins loading kayaks, loading supplies, etc...
    I disagree on the ill prepared rec users, its a few commercial operators that screw it up from my observtions.

Koiak, what is your boat, name, business, etc...out of curiosity?
    Bk

Ya, its never really the commercial fishing boats that cause the boat ramp retrieval line to close down its the other commercial guys. I understand its not all there fault for having to use it since there is no other place for them to do it. They should of never got rid of the other landing until they could get a new one.

BK how was the last trip??

I agree, its not commercial fisherman, shrimpers, or butt charters, its the dang water taxi that is7 always parked there.
    I heard the 2nd set set of ramps were removed to build more floating docks?
    It appears kodiak kid is a commercial fisherman on the side, so he is not a problem.

Fishing was good.
    I'll give you a call to discuss.

Silvers are in!
    Bk

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Yesterday it was the young couple with an older 28 ft bayliner who was tied up at the very end of the left retrieval lane dock, motor running and working on organizing their boat for at least 20 minutes before heading out....while the rest of us are doing the conga line thing, in the wind waiting to get in to the dock. It was high tide and the entire dock in fron of them was empty, the other line was packed.

Some times it is the sporties.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Yesterday it was the young couple with an older 28 ft bayliner who was tied up at the very end of the left retrieval lane dock, motor running and working on organizing their boat for at least 20 minutes before heading out....while the rest of us are doing the conga line thing, in the wind waiting to get in to the dock. It was high tide and the entire dock in fron of them was empty, the other line was packed.

Some times it is the sporties.
    Can't ya just drive around them ?? I always did and my boat was 10-1/2 feet wide. Boat on the end of the dock never stopped me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Can't ya just drive around them ?? I always did and my boat was 10-1/2 feet wide. Boat on the end of the dock never stopped me.
    That's cuz you got SKILL Steve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I have moved boats when captain wasn't anywhere in sight......ie, Lazy otter 2x last week.
    We always offer to help move a boat or help someone along if they are clogging up the process, I was a rookie many years ago and understand.
    Anywho, happy and safe boating.
    See ya at the dock soon!
    Bk

bk, you have the right attitude. It's a pain to jockey in the wind just to get to the dock on a Sunday evening...but one of the biggest reasons I see for folks losing their cool is the alternating 30-minute tunnel periods and the "horror" of having to wait until the next one to get out of town.

Years ago, I had some guy behind me in the retrieval lane totally lose it and scream a long string of obscenities at me just because I took 30 extra seconds to grab my anchor basket off the bow of my boat while it was on the trailer but before I'd pulled up the ramp. I had my 3 boys who were all under 12 (at the time) and didn't have any other help (or offers). Sure, I should have done it afterward, but really? I've been boating and trailering all my life so I'm pretty efficient when launching/retrieving.

Anyway, I appreciate that he came over to apologize to me when we were in line at the tunnel and I was working on the rest of puttering to get the boat highway-ready. He said that "it's something about Sunday evenings at the Whittier ramp that brings out the worst in me".

You WILL make the next tunnel shot of out town. Take a deep breath and relax. You'll get home.

Now, can we talk about the a-holes who don't use the newer slow vehicle turnouts or who finally speed up when there's a passing opportunity?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

we used to call the outbound tunnel traffic "the next flush" and yeah i was included in the flush many times

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    bk, you have the right attitude. It's a pain to jockey in the wind just to get to the dock on a Sunday evening...but one of the biggest reasons I see for folks losing their cool is the alternating 30-minute tunnel periods and the "horror" of having to wait until the next one to get out of town.

Years ago, I had some guy behind me in the retrieval lane totally lose it and scream a long string of obscenities at me just because I took 30 extra seconds to grab my anchor basket off the bow of my boat while it was on the trailer but before I'd pulled up the ramp. I had my 3 boys who were all under 12 (at the time) and didn't have any other help (or offers). Sure, I should have done it afterward, but really? I've been boating and trailering all my life so I'm pretty efficient when launching/retrieving.

Anyway, I appreciate that he came over to apologize to me when we were in line at the tunnel and I was working on the rest of puttering to get the boat highway-ready. He said that "it's something about Sunday evenings at the Whittier ramp that brings out the worst in me".

You WILL make the next tunnel shot of out town. Take a deep breath and relax. You'll get home.

Now, can we talk about the a-holes who don't use the newer slow vehicle turnouts or who finally speed up when there's a passing opportunity?
    Thanks Mr. Fish. The tunnel is not a race for us as I have no schedule to meet. If we don't make it, that allows us time to walk the docks and look at boats before leaving.
    Now the guys who stay in the left lane are jackwagons!:-):-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast