Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoors Writer Craig Medred Cited...

Default Outdoors Writer Craig Medred Cited...

Case Number: 06-53279
    Type: Overlimit Sockeye Salmon
    Text: On 6-19-06, Soldotna ABWE Troopers cited Craig M. Medred, 54 yoa,
    of Anchorage, AK, for taking an overlimit of sockeye salmon from the
    Russian River. Bail is set at $130.
    Author: JTM9
    Received and posted Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:25 AM

This guy should have known better. I write for a shotgun mag and I don't even push the line an inch.

http://www.sportingclays.net/index_f...m?StoryID=2792
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Smile being in the spotlight.....

OUCH! Can't wait to see his article (explanation) about this!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default now now...

just because you work for the newspaper doesn't mean that you can count.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie
    Say it ain't so....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Unhappy

Sorry, doctor, here's confirmation. Scroll down just past half-way:

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/dispa...6.20060622.txt

Golly whiz, what's the world coming to? What do you reckon Mr. Medred's Sunday column will be about? So sad . . .

Default If he didn't do this to garner Headlines...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus

Golly whiz, what's the world coming to? What do you reckon Mr. Medred's Sunday column will be about? So sad . . .

& to sell news papers, with a rant about subsistence, I can only wonder what his response would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus

I'll have to concede that seein' is believin', John.

I am disappointed to say the least. I'm sure we'll see the other side of the story (if there is one) this weekend.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default Let's be fair!

I have had a real tough time on occasion and lost track of the number of fish in the box. On the Copper and down at the Kasilof, dipping, for example. Was it 29 or 30? Is the supplemental in effect?
    By the way, what is the limit on the Russian?

Default Limit on the Russian

...Is three (3) sockeye...shouldn't be that hard to keep track of three fish.

Things happen to everyone at one point or another. It just happen to him on the Russian. Look at LC on the Deska, he was fined to.

Can't imagine someone as smart and "outdoors-savvy" as Medred would be stupid enough to try walking out of there with more than his 3 fish limit.

My guess is that he was cited for a technicality like helping a struggling angler hook-up by passing a rod after setting the hook. By the letter of the law, the fish technically goes on the bag limit of the person hooking it.

Probably one of the most inconsistently enforced rules on the books. How many of us as fathers or uncles or grandfathers have helped a young child hook-up by passing a rod.... you don't even give it a second thought. If you go on to keep three of your own, you are in violation.

I am not condoning breaking the law, nor am I trying to make excuses for Craig... he should've known better. Just don't see a man of his character doing it with willful criminal intent.
    The KeenEye MD

Innocent until proven guilty...........boys!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

3 fish, is that so hard to understand? <Sentence removed by webmaster>
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-23-2006 at 07:50.

Default Guilty

He's guilty, is it that hard to count to three. I think you would remember clubbing three fish... What kind of penalty can he receive from this?

Exclamation Innocent until....

While the case against Mr. Medred seems strong with the limited information available, let's remember that there may be circumstances we are not aware of, as FishNPhysician points out.

Let's wait to find out how this plays out before condemning.

David

Default Should make for some good reading...

Guilty or innocent, I enjoy Medred's writing and hope he mentions something about this incident in his column. He is pretty willing to write about others who have screwed up, so I hope he can give himself the same consideration. As I recall he did write about his own bear mauling, however.

Not to digress, but there are two other "over limit" scenarios that are commonly violated day in and day out in Alaska. I mention them only for the sake of education.

The first is possession limit. Fishing on day 1 for a bag limit, then coming back on day 2 (after midnight) and taking another daily bag limit. Unless you took the time to have the first limit processed/preserved or they were consumed in a camp BBQ, you are now in possession of six fish. OVER LIMIT.

The second is "party" fishing for a boat limit. This practice happens a lot on halibut boats, chartered or private. Also pretty common among marine salmon anglers. It's something the state has really started cracking down on, especially charters. Technically, once you have hooked two halibut (or your daily limit of salmon) that end up in the fish box, you are done fishing for the day. The only place I know of with a codified exception is the Kasilof River, where guides lobbied to allow fishing a full spread of rods even after one or more clients has bonked a fish.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Print

We'll see if he says anything about it in his next article. Regardless of which method of "over limiting" he is accused of it is still illegal no matter how you slice it.

Default Technicality ? ? ?

My bet is that Craig got nailed on a technicality. I will be interested to hear what happened.

Hypothetical Situation #1: Let's say you've been fishing the Russian, and you've caught a couple red salmon. The limit is three. You have two on the stringer. You land another one, and kill it (you can't keep live fish on the stringer - it's against the law). In the process of putting another fish on the stringer, you manage to drop one in the current and you lose it. So, instead of three, you still only have two. You go back to fishing, catch another one, and get your three. Now, have you broken the law? You've actually killed four fish.

Hypothetical Situation #2: You've landed and killed your limit of three fish and play catch & release for awhile with the reds. Mr. Young Bear comes along and takes your fish. Can you go back to fishing and kill three more fish?

Hypothetical Situation #3: You may not remove a king from the water unless you intend to keep it. You are fishing in legal waters for king salmon and finally subdue a nice king, one you want to keep so you net it, or beach the fish. Since you've removed it from the water, it is technically now your fish and needs to be immediately (what the regs state) tagged. So, you pull out your license and reach for your pen. Just as you do so, the king unexpectedly flips back into the water and is gone. Do you still write it down? What if you already wrote it down and then it gets away? Or suppose you stuck a knife in it's gill to bleed it before you went to write it down and then it got away. Obviously, it's going to die. Do you write it down or go back to fishing?

To be honest, I'm not sure I know the answers to the above hypothetical situations. But I suspect that once you kill a fish, it's part of your limit for the day, regardless of what happens to the fish after you kill it. Any thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast