Thread: 220 grain for 300 Win Mag

Default 220 grain for 300 Win Mag

I recently got some Nosler Partition that are 220 grain and was going to
    use them in my 300 Win Mag.

Does anyone have a pet load they will share. If you are getting cloverleaf
    groups from your rifle it sure would be a good place to start with mine.

I am more interested in accuracy than in velocity.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

My loading manual is buried somewhere, so I can't get specific. But I sure encourage you on your use of the 220 in a 300. I wasn't so much worried about accuracy as I was about POI. I dinked around with loads to find one that landed the bullets right on at 200 yards while my son-in-law's rifle was sighted in 4" high at 100 yards with 180 grains. I wanted to be able to swap ammo with no sight changes when I moved from open country into tight country. And it worked. Best I recall the load was doing around 2500fps.

I went one step further with his rifle while I was at it. I had a bunch of Remington CorLokt 220's on hand, and I found a load with those that churned up only 2100 fps, but was right on at 100 with no change in sights. It's a dandy combo for deer in cover, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose, too.

Loaded him up a whole bunch of each load, and he's still using them. He's actually killed more game with them than his pet 180 grain load. Best of all, the noses on all three bullets are different, so it's easy to tell which is which in a pocket.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My loading manual is buried somewhere, so I can't get specific. But I sure encourage you on your use of the 220 in a 300. I wasn't so much worried about accuracy as I was about POI. I dinked around with loads to find one that landed the bullets right on at 200 yards while my son-in-law's rifle was sighted in 4" high at 100 yards with 180 grains. I wanted to be able to swap ammo with no sight changes when I moved from open country into tight country. And it worked. Best I recall the load was doing around 2500fps.

I went one step further with his rifle while I was at it. I had a bunch of Remington CorLokt 220's on hand, and I found a load with those that churned up only 2100 fps, but was right on at 100 with no change in sights. It's a dandy combo for deer in cover, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose, too.

Loaded him up a whole bunch of each load, and he's still using them. He's actually killed more game with them than his pet 180 grain load. Best of all, the noses on all three bullets are different, so it's easy to tell which is which in a pocket.
    Koo'Wal.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I recently got some Nosler Partition that are 220 grain and was going to
    use them in my 300 Win Mag.

Does anyone have a pet load they will share. If you are getting cloverleaf
    groups from your rifle it sure would be a good place to start with mine.

I am more interested in accuracy than in velocity.
    H1000 and RL22 would be a good place to start.