Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing felt wading soles

Default Replacing felt wading soles

I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing their felt soled wading boots with a different sole that is legal in Alaska waters? Is there a place to pick up replacement soles and any tips on the best way to do this? Thanks for any info!

Use the search function on this forum and you should find some solutions. Just search for "felt sole".

Everything I tried myself sucked, bought a pair of studded korkers and never looked back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Everything I tried myself sucked, bought a pair of studded korkers and never looked back...

That's how I roll. I switch to vibram when in the boat for traction.

Good luck, nothing I've tried compares with felt.

I got mine done at Boot Country with tread. They aren't as sticky as felt, but I keep Ice Treckers slip on's with me and use them when needed.

I don't know the glue details, but a friend ground off his felt soles at the bench grinder, then glued on replacement soles intended for Corkers. He's very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Thats interesting, I wouldn't go back to felt after owning studied korkers even if it was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    I wear the Korker strap on spikes. I would NEVER even consider going back to felt soles, even where legal. The spikes grip all the wet rock surfaces I've found up here and they won't slip on steep banks. The only problem I've had with them is that you have to be careful in deep mud - the mud can suck them off a boot.

Not sure on the replacement soles themselves, perhaps Simms can sell them. However, it was common place to grind off the felt and glue on replacement felts so the concept is established, just gotta find a suitable piece of rubber for the bottom.

In the end however, if time is money, you are better off to just purchase a decent set of sticky rubber bottomed wading boots. Most options are as good as another. I however do not dig the Korkers, they fail too often to be of any worth, and the replaceable stud options from Simms work just great for tiems when you know you will be working areas with snotty logs, and super slick rocks. Change in and out quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I wear the Korker strap on spikes. I would NEVER even consider going back to felt soles, even where legal. The spikes grip all the wet rock surfaces I've found up here and they won't slip on steep banks. The only problem I've had with them is that you have to be careful in deep mud - the mud can suck them off a boot.
    Gary we used to put a couple of drywall screws through the side of the korker into the side heel of our boots to keep them from coming off. I'm going to give the Patagonia aluminum bar cleats a try this year. Aluminum is very sticky on rocks just think how good a metal boat sticks to rocks when you get stuck ! On another note we used to have a shoe cobbler glue golf soles on our boots back east for striped bass fishing on the rockpiles. I'd bet "barge cement" would hold soles on just fine.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Gary we used to put a couple of drywall screws through the side of the korker into the side heel of our boots to keep them from coming off. I'm going to give the Patagonia aluminum bar cleats a try this year. Aluminum is very sticky on rocks just think how good a metal boat sticks to rocks when you get stuck ! On another note we used to have a shoe cobbler glue golf soles on our boots back east for striped bass fishing on the rockpiles. I'd bet "barge cement" would hold soles on just fine.

Good idea with the screws, I'll give it a try. Keep us posted with your experience with the Patagonia strap-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Spikes are great if not rafting/wading when you get to nice spots. The slip on Ice Treckers work well and come of/go on quickly and are quite secure.

Another vote for Boot Country on Old Seward in Anchorage. They did a great job of swapping out the felt soles on my Simms wading shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Another vote for Boot Country on Old Seward in Anchorage. They did a great job of swapping out the felt soles on my Simms wading shoes.
    Swapped out for what?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    Swapped out for what?
    I can't speak for Tomcat, but my felt was swapped with the aquatread that Simms uses (at Boot country). My boot treads match exactly my wife's newer Simms guide boots, and they did a great job at a fair price.

What AKBEE said... I was a little worried about switching to a rubber sole, but haven't noticed much of a difference in the footing grip. It was a painless transition and I don't miss the felt at all.

Add some aluminum studs (roofing screws) to your Simms rubber soles and you are good to go. The carbide cleats work well too, but NOT when it is at or below freezing, as they tend to adhere ice and slush. Strange phenomena, but no bueno.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Add some aluminum studs (roofing screws) to your Simms rubber soles and you are good to go. The carbide cleats work well too, but NOT when it is at or below freezing, as they tend to adhere ice and slush. Strange phenomena, but no bueno.
    I don't use wading boots. I just go bare footed. Longer toe nails help greatly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (6.3 KB, 28 views)
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I don't use wading boots. I just go bare footed. Longer toe nails help greatly.
    I bet those things don't build up ice in the winter, as they are smoking hot!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast